Best (or even common) practice on dev across multiple versio

Posted by Peter Judge on 24-Jun-2014 12:26

Say I have some classes that are using the latest ABL keywords. In particular a new keyword or a keyword that replaces another UDF. Suppose that I want this code to run in multiple versions (let's say 10.2B and later).

One approach is to create a branch per supported OE version, and make sure the code is tailored to that OE version. Another approach is to create an include file which can conditionally include stuff based on the PROVERSION or KEYWORD-ALL keywords. There might be other conditional switches (maybe a &GLOBAL-DEFINE of my own that acts as a master switch).

In some cases, I will have to branch. For instance, if I am using the JsonObject classes (which are only in 11.0+), the code in 10.2B cannot be easily conditionally included/excluded.

However, there are cases where I can write an include which can use either the new ABL GET-FOO() statement or my fnGetFoo() UDF.

I see the conditional approach as being useful because it means I only have to maintain a single branch of this code. It can get mighty unreadable and potentially unwieldy.

Thoughts?

-- peter

-- peter

All Replies

Posted by Mike Fechner on 24-Jun-2014 12:38

We are using a mix of branches and conditional compilation: mostly based on ProVersion, but also for GUI vs. TTY code (typically using .NET APIs vs. OS-COMMAND etc.)

Minor diffs are easily maintained using conditional compile.

When a whole module (like our BPM Interface, WebServices vs. native interface) is fundamentally different in 10.2B vs. 11.x two different branches create far simpler code.

Visual Designer code requires also branches, when using new attributes in 11.x, like office2010 style, .NET 4.0 types in resx files etc.. You can't use conditional compilation in InitializeComponents or resx files.

An SCM tool with great merging capabilities is key, I'd be lost without Perforce!=

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 24-Jun-2014 13:11

One of the virtues of branching is that it is more painful ... which means that when one gets to a point that one no longer has to support the earlier version, one can abandon it and thereby cleanse the code base of the old stuff.  The problem with conditional compilation is that it tends to live on forever garbaging up the code and no one ever cleans it up.

Which said, a lot depends on context.  If, like Mike, one is providing a code base which might get used across a lot of versions, then having a single code base has some virtue whenever the differences are minor since one can always acquire a new client with an older version.  But, if one is creating a product for one's customer base and one is in a position to keep them current on releases, then branching and abandonment seems indicated.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 24-Jun-2014 13:17

Didn't you mean to say "less painful"?

> Am 24.06.2014 um 20:12 schrieb "Thomas Mercer-Hursh" :
>
> One of the virtues of branching is that it is more painful ..

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 24-Jun-2014 13:52

No, more painful, particularly if one has to keep adding every new change to every branch and then figuring out whether it needs to be modified in that version and so forth.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 24-Jun-2014 13:55

You must have been using the wrong SCM tools so far.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 24-Jun-2014 14:04

I'm not thinking of the SCM tool.  I am thinking that if I have a body of code that has 4 branches for different versions, each addition or change that I make I have to make that decision about whether or not it has to be branched and if it needs to be branched then I have to come up with new pieces for each relevant branch.  I suppose one has to consider that for in situ version checks too, but it seems that there is more overhead with doing the branching.

Mostly, I don't like doing either one!

Posted by Peter Judge on 24-Jun-2014 14:06

I agree with Thomas' sentiment – from the perspective that 2 code paths are harder to maintain than 1. If you want to introduce a new feature into both branches, it requires more work (IMO) than if there was just 1 branch.

Good SCM tools – and good module design - can reduce this pain. But I'm not sure if it ever goes away.

-- peter

[collapse]
From: Mike Fechner [mailto:bounce-mikefechner@community.progress.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 24 June, 2014 14:56
To: TU.OE.General@community.progress.com
Subject: [Technical Users - OE General] AW: Best (or even common) practice on dev across multiple versions: branch vs conditional code?

Reply by Mike Fechner
You must have been using the wrong SCM tools so far.
Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse]

Posted by Mike Fechner on 24-Jun-2014 14:13

It certainly is a question of tools!

It’s a fact that some of us have to support old versions like 10.2B but also like to use the latest language features. This requires branches or conditional compilation. Right?

Either way, when adding new code, you need to make a decision to which versions of Progress you want to/can make this available. So you either add conditional compilation (making ugly code) or branch it to version specific branches.

A good SCM tool has branches with brains. So when it comes to branching modifications to the original code, you don’t have to remember your previous decision as the tool keeps track of this (allowing you to change your mind though).

Mostly, I don't like doing either one!

But that’s not the question here and thus irrelevant in this thread – unless you are in the luxury situation of either not requiring latest language features or getting all your customers to upgrade to 11.3 or 11.4 at once.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 24-Jun-2014 14:15

Good SCM tools – and good module design - can reduce this pain. But I'm not sure if it ever goes away.

I’m in full agreement. It’s painful. But the biggest pain comes from testing – even though we automate lots of tests – and not from managing the code lines.

From a certain degree of differences I am however convinced, that branches are easier to maintain then huge use of conditional compilation.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 24-Jun-2014 14:35

The issue I was trying to make with respect to upgrades is that if one has a customer population which one can keep reasonably current, like just 2 or maybe 3 versions at a time, then one of the virtues of branches is that when one leaves behind a particular version, one can simply abandon those branches and the code is essentially automatically cleaned of the version kludge.  Whereas, if one has proversion tests and the like buried in the code, they are likely to persist long past where they are needed.

Posted by Mike Fechner on 24-Jun-2014 14:41

In theory it’s trivial to avoid real world problems.

I find lots of customers (for good enough reasons) on 10.2B and others on 11.3. That’s 5 versions and 11.4 just knocking on the door. And I believe I’m already working with customers that are on more recent versions of Progress than the average…

Posted by jmls on 24-Jun-2014 14:59

I agree with Mike. We use branches for each version , and as long as the scm tool manages repeated merging, (which , let's face it, most of them do these days) the problem goes away.

You just need to be careful of the workflow. Get that right, it's a doddle.

Posted by andrew.may on 25-Jun-2014 04:50

We use conditional compilation for small changes, but have a policy of always wrapping these conditional entries in some special comment markup & listing all such changes in a master text file.

This means that when we drop support for a version, we can quickly find all special code for the old version & strip it out (we've also got a policy that you add the conditional code in a way that makes it easy to strip out).

In practice, this has worked out pretty well so far.

For larger changes we would use branches (we use Mercurial, so merging changes between branches is cheap) - as Thomas said, this makes it very cheap to drop an old version.

This thread is closed