Restart a service remotely

Posted by James Palmer on 03-Apr-2014 03:16

Not entirely related, but I was hoping I could tap the collective knowledge of the community on this.

We are preparing for an office move. At the new office the server room is shared between a few businesses and as one of them is a Financial Services company the server room access is restricted heavily.

Our main production server doesn't like Remote Desktop (it hangs the server!) so we use PC Anywhere. From time to time though the PC Anywhere service hangs itself up so we have to physically go to the Server and restart the service.

Does anyone know of a way I can remotely restart a service on the server without having to visit it? It's running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise.