Which logging filters for 'prowin32.exe -clientlog'

Posted by Robert Janssen on 28-Mar-2014 08:14

For troubleshooting we often use the -clientlog parameter for prowin32.exe. For example:

prowin32.exe -clientlog %username%.lg -logginglevel 2 -logentrytypes 4GLTrace

I noticed that it is possible to add more filters, for example:

prowin32.exe -clientlog %username%.lg -logginglevel 2 -logentrytypes DB.Connects,4GLMessages,4GLTrace,QryInfo,DynObjects.*,ProEvents.Other:4

Where can I find which filters I can choose from and what do they do/mean?
And how many logginglevels are there and what do they do/mean?
What does 'Other:4' do/mean?

Posted by Fernando Souza on 28-Mar-2014 08:20

The log entry types are described in the “Debugging and Troubleshooting” book. There are whole chapters on logging and log entry types on that book.

You can specify different logging levels for different log entry types, so Proevents.Other:4 means that for that one log entry type, we will apply logging level 4, and for the other ones we will apply the value specified for the –logginglevel startup parameter. Logging levels for log entry types go from 2 to 4.

All Replies

Posted by Fernando Souza on 28-Mar-2014 08:20

The log entry types are described in the “Debugging and Troubleshooting” book. There are whole chapters on logging and log entry types on that book.

You can specify different logging levels for different log entry types, so Proevents.Other:4 means that for that one log entry type, we will apply logging level 4, and for the other ones we will apply the value specified for the –logginglevel startup parameter. Logging levels for log entry types go from 2 to 4.

Posted by Robert Janssen on 28-Mar-2014 10:01

Thank you for the answer!

You say: "Logging levels for log entry types go from 2 to 4.".

In a Progress case I received the following:

-clientlog mylog.lg -logginglevel 5 -logentrytypes 4GLTrace,W3C-TRANSPORT

This suggests that there are higher levels than 4 :)

Posted by Fernando Souza on 28-Mar-2014 10:09

We don’t prevent you from specifying a value greater than 4. You will just get the same data when you specify anything higher than 4.

[collapse]