Where to compile code from. OE11.3 on 64 bit server and 32 b

Posted by CABI on 21-Mar-2014 05:31

OpenEdge 11.3.0 (appbuilder technology).  Server is Windows 2008 R2 (64bit) holding the databases, appservers and application code. The clients are Windows 2007 machines (10% 64bit, 90% 32bit) using 32bit OpenEdge and run the code from their PCs via a .pf file (basic client server set-up code written from 1995 onwards). 

1) Are there any issues that I may not have noticed if I compile the application code on the server compared with compiling from my development PC (Windows 7,64bit, running 32bit OpenEdge ?

2) ADM1 SmartObjects won't compile on the server as the required ..\src\adm\ folders do not have code files. Can I copy these folders from my development  PC onto the server'  and compile the Smartobject based .w files from the server? (GUI screens on the server don't use Smartobjects only client PCs use this functionality). 

So far nothing major has turned up, just  one or two minor oddities that spring up intermittently. 

Posted by James Palmer on 21-Mar-2014 05:41

As far as I know you should be able to run 32bit rcode on a 64bit client, and vice versa. The only issues you may face are when you use things like OCXs as 32bit versions of these won't work on 64bit machines AFAIK. So compiling might become an issue on the 64bit server. But judging by the fact you already have a mix of clients you probably already have this in hand.

Someone more experienced/clever is probably going to come along and blow all my comments apart shortly, but I thought I'd post anyway ;)

All Replies

Posted by James Palmer on 21-Mar-2014 05:41

As far as I know you should be able to run 32bit rcode on a 64bit client, and vice versa. The only issues you may face are when you use things like OCXs as 32bit versions of these won't work on 64bit machines AFAIK. So compiling might become an issue on the 64bit server. But judging by the fact you already have a mix of clients you probably already have this in hand.

Someone more experienced/clever is probably going to come along and blow all my comments apart shortly, but I thought I'd post anyway ;)

Posted by CABI on 21-Mar-2014 09:02

Hi James. Thanks for your reply. I just needed a point of stability from a 3rd party as I'm in a post- version 9 to 11 upgrade period trying to determine what's a v11 'feature' e.g., XML validation is better and revealing content issues not previously seen;  real versus imaginary problems e.g., users saying this function doesn't work, and after looking at the code I find (a) it never worked on version 9,  and (b) they never used that function before now either;  issues created by using Windows Remote Appserver [i.e. rdp] (varied issues resulting in Progress being loaded back onto users PCs);  and dealing with the outlier  - the one user on XP requiring bespoke tweaking of the code in certain places.

Posted by James Palmer on 21-Mar-2014 09:40

Glad I could be of help.

Out of interest, when you upgraded, did you implement type II storage areas?

Posted by CABI on 21-Mar-2014 09:51

Yes. A very nice Progress consultant called Gareth Payne did the dirty work of sorting out the type I to Type II mappings and sample code for parallel Dump and Loads. I used these as a template for each of our databases (we merged 4 of them as we went) and then fiddled with the Progress v9tov11 converter to account for the v10 conversation in the middle (significant head scratching was required). The dump and load on a 64 bit machine was mind blowingly fast: 7 databases in 7 hrs (including v9 restore and index builds). In version 9 a few years ago it to 18hrs for 1 database. The type II coupled with 32Gb ram (each database has 10-15% of its size in RAM) means our weekly load of data from our production system to our archive was taking 7hrs for 10,000 records and now it takes *1hr 15min*.  So everything is going sooooo much faster. All that's really left is to do in the future is to re-build all the applications with 'new' and sensible code.

Posted by James Palmer on 21-Mar-2014 09:57

Excellent stuff!! GLad to hear you're happy with the upgrade too. Just goes to show that spending money on a consultant can be money well spent.

This thread is closed