OE Linux Change of Licence Question

Posted by pfred on 13-Mar-2014 00:31

10.2B Linux (Centos 64bit)

I've got a VM that's was built for testing (with a spare licence of ours installed). I want to remove our licence and install the customers runtime licence. Both would be 10.2B.

I'm a bit unclear as to whether I can use proupdt to get rid of the old licence and add the new one or whether I have to completely uninstall the old licence (using uninstall) and then reinstall the same release with the customers control codes.

Or is there another way I haven't mentioned. I had a look in the OpenEdge® Getting Started: Installation and Configuration manual but I couldn't see anything that really covers this type of case.

Thanks

Peter

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 13-Mar-2014 04:59

Depends. You won't be able to remove the license with proupdt. For example if you played with enterprise db (your license) and customer has workgroup, the only way how to remove workgroup from there is to replace the progress.cfg. EG do an installation with customer licenses somewhere else and swap the progress.cfg. This way you won't lose any settings you may have already done (to properties for example). If it's a same product but different serial, user counts etc - use proudpt. If they are different products (eg adding new products) you would need to run an installation and add it (install it) on the top of the current install and reapply the service pack (if there was a service pack installed).

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 13-Mar-2014 10:56

As said, you can install customers 10 users WGP to a temp folder, get progress.cfg and replace it (in your "production" install) and then trash the temp folder. But that's still essentially an extra install. The only benefit is - you don't have to change anything on the one already installed (which is useful if it has been configured or if you have running databases/adminserver there already).

All Replies

Posted by Libor Laubacher on 13-Mar-2014 04:59

Depends. You won't be able to remove the license with proupdt. For example if you played with enterprise db (your license) and customer has workgroup, the only way how to remove workgroup from there is to replace the progress.cfg. EG do an installation with customer licenses somewhere else and swap the progress.cfg. This way you won't lose any settings you may have already done (to properties for example). If it's a same product but different serial, user counts etc - use proudpt. If they are different products (eg adding new products) you would need to run an installation and add it (install it) on the top of the current install and reapply the service pack (if there was a service pack installed).

Posted by pfred on 13-Mar-2014 07:25

Thanks Libor for your comments.

I've got to remove a 4gl licence and our spare 8 user WG database. Put on the customers 10 user WG db. Sounds like the easiest way then is to just uninstall OE and then reinstall the 10 user WG db. Since they are both going to be 10.2B I shouldn't need to re-download it again. Just use the right control codes. Was hoping for something a bit easier but I'll just move on.

Thanks Peter

[collapse]
[...]

This thread is closed