Tooling for automated GUI-testing

Posted by pieter.brouwer on 09-Dec-2013 09:14

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right group for this question, but I was wondering if the members of this group use a tool for automated GUI-testing specifically well suited for OE-applications? Any suggestions/pointers are very welcome.

TIA

Pieter Brouwer

Posted by Peter Judge on 10-Dec-2013 14:53

PSC uses QTP for some things.

However, since around 10.1C there has been support for the WIDGET-ID attribute in the ABL. This helps with one of the big challenges with most of the UI testing tools, which is the fact that traditionally in ABL applications, you had to have the tool work off screen positions (ie there's a button starting at pixel 340x221). This is very error fragile. Widget-ids allow the ABL application to have a fixed window id (like a handle basically) which testing tools can now use. So now we can tell the testing tool that there's a button with an id of 4433221, which will never change.

-- peter

All Replies

Posted by Jean Richert on 10-Dec-2013 14:26

Hi Pieter,

Far from being an expert in the GUI-testing but I just searched the Community wikis and found a couple of articles: Punit, ProUnit (could be these are the same sorry I didn't check). There is also another recording about Automated testing with QTP...

Anyone else following this forum is willing to share tools? experience? 

Thanks

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 10-Dec-2013 14:41

The various unit testing tools (referenced in the talk here cintegrity.com/.../Analysis-Problems-ABL-and-How-Solve-Them ) do not address the GUI testing which the OP is requesting.  Don't know about those, but it has come up here in the past.   PSC themselves uses one, but I don't remember what it is.

Posted by Peter Judge on 10-Dec-2013 14:53

PSC uses QTP for some things.

However, since around 10.1C there has been support for the WIDGET-ID attribute in the ABL. This helps with one of the big challenges with most of the UI testing tools, which is the fact that traditionally in ABL applications, you had to have the tool work off screen positions (ie there's a button starting at pixel 340x221). This is very error fragile. Widget-ids allow the ABL application to have a fixed window id (like a handle basically) which testing tools can now use. So now we can tell the testing tool that there's a button with an id of 4433221, which will never change.

-- peter

This thread is closed