Enhancement/feature requests forum with voting system

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 13-Nov-2013 03:38

Hi,

It would be interesting to add an enhancement/feature requests forum to the community site.

This could be a place where people could add ideas and others could vote on them.

Currently there is an 'openedge-enhancements@progress.com' email address which is basically a black hole where nothing ever returns from...

For some time now on the PUG Challenges people can propose features/enhancements, and we even get down to voting for them, but no feedback ever returns to the requesters.

I think it's time for some more transparancy and communication (in both ways!).

Allowing developers to ask for features, and returning feedback to them will lower frustration and increase productivity.

This will also help PSC to know what developers really want.

A good example of an implementation of such a forum would be the Windows Phone feature suggestions site (http://windowsphone.uservoice.com)

There you get a time-limited number of votes which you can distribute over a number of suggestions (or add one yourself).

I hope to get some feedback/reactions on this post ;-)

All Replies

Posted by Cecilia Stockare on 13-Nov-2013 04:06

Hi,

I think what you are looking for exists; If you go to "Technical user" you will see a link to "Ideas" on the right hand side

Follow the link and you will see a list of products, including the Community, where you can post your ideas and enhancements.

community.progress.com/.../default.aspx

Cecilia

Posted by Lieven De Foor on 13-Nov-2013 04:50

Kinda bizarre that the quick link to ideas in the Technical user forum takes you to the Business user forum...

Anyway, I'll have a look thanks!

Posted by Lieven Cardoen on 13-Nov-2013 04:57
Posted by Lieven De Foor on 13-Nov-2013 05:05

I've taken a look, and while it looks good to me at first sight, I still wonder why that subforum is hidden so well?

How can anyone easily find that subforum? Why no big IDEAS button, next to the HOME, FORUM, etc buttons?

As long as it isn't more easily accessible this will not reach its goal...

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 13-Nov-2013 06:58

Having read this thread, I went looking for this "Ideas" forum,  knowing that it existed.  I couldn't find it.  So I agree with Lieven.

And yes, I'm aware that a link to it was posted above.  

Posted by Aleksey on 13-Nov-2013 08:59

On MS site is good but there are a lot of stand alone web site plug-ins. Recently I looked one for my company and it could be similar to this one userecho.com/why-userecho. It is transparent and came out of KISS.

Posted by Aleksey on 13-Nov-2013 09:05

But frankly saying I don't think it is possible with Progress :)

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 13-Nov-2013 10:43

It is good to post this kind of request/suggestion on the Communities Forum.  Go to the home, on the right side there is About the Community, and from there you will see the link for the forum.  Or, go straight to

community.progress.com/.../32.aspx

Posted by Fabrice Leste on 14-Nov-2013 03:43

I attended the Community session from [mention:f822c6bf04534292b3fe04704ddd8dd6:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05]  in the EMEA PUG Challenge and I believe he mentioned that this was on the roadmap indeed.

This thread is closed