Crystal Reports

Posted by Admin on 16-Oct-2006 08:19

I am using Progress 9.1D with Merant 3.60 ODBC Driver. When using crystal reports to pull data from the database, many of my reports seem to take forever. Our database is 10G in size with 700 employees using the system daily. Does this affect the speed at which my reports run? What can I do to speed them up?

All Replies

Posted by bbe on 16-Oct-2006 09:29

You might want to setup a test with 10.1A which has improved SQL and ODBC access.

Using the OpenEdge 10 type 2 storage areas will improve performance even better.

Posted by jtownsen on 16-Oct-2006 13:14

You might also want to check what kind queries Crystal is actually generating and the number of records they actually return.

Appart from that, there are the "normal" database tuning. Here are a couple of links that might help:

In addition, there's a bunch more information here in PSDN if you put "performance tuning" into the search box.

The biggest thing for performance when it comes to read only access is the database buffer cache, the size of which is controlled by the "-B" database setting. Particularly interesting is the database buffer hits which you can observe through promon.

Posted by bbe on 16-Oct-2006 13:46

The biggest thing for performance when it comes to

read only access is the database buffer cache, the

size of which is controlled by the "-B" database

setting. Particularly interesting is the database

buffer hits which you can observe through promon.

True but with odbc, it's also important how much crosses the wire. Keep in mind that what Jamie proposes as other links to look at, most explain 10 is better and with 9.1E being mature, you might want to have a closer look at OE 10.1A

There's an OpenEdge Evaluation Kit on http://psdn.com/library/entry.jspa?entryID=1131 if you do not have it yet

Posted by Admin on 16-Oct-2006 14:21

Thanks for the info guys.

This thread is closed