OE Development Server

Posted by ChUIMonster on 27-Dec-2006 11:39

What is this product?

It is listed on my "green sheets" but a search of PSDN turns up nothing...

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 27-Dec-2006 12:41

My impression is that it is a server for use with a development license in a stand alone mode, e.g., if you didn't happen to have a regular server around. But, I've never used it and can't point you to a reference.

Posted by jtownsen on 28-Dec-2006 03:20

Yeah, that's more or less right. For example, if you want to use OpenEdge Architect (Windows) with a Database or AppServer on Linux, that Database or AppServer need to be installed on the Linux box, but from a licensing perspective, you have what you need in the OpenEdge Architect license.

Of course, to install on the Linux box, you need serial numbers and control code - that's when you order the free Development Server license.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 28-Dec-2006 07:02

I remain baffled.

What does this "Server" serve? If it serves a database how does it differ from a personal db, a workgroup db or an enterprise db server? If it serves something else (such as being some variety of an app server) then how is it distinguished from "normal" licenses (such as a "basic app server" and an "enterprise app server")

I think that PSC might want to consider devoting a track at exchange to products and licensing. They could easily fill a whole track The downside to that is that it wouldn't leave any time for technical topics -- so perhaps a day long workshop on Saturday or Thursday

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Dec-2006 11:34

Joking aside, it would certainly make a valuable part of the PSDN offering to have some really complete and clear articles on all of the licensing questions.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 28-Dec-2006 11:42

I'm not joking.

I seriously think that there would be a lot of interest and benefit from holding some sessions around these sorts of issues.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 28-Dec-2006 11:47

Wasn't there some discussion at Exchange '06?

I think it was one or more of the BOF sessions where questions were asked to the effect of "How can I price a product for sale to a customer if I don't know what my costs are?"

A number of the PSC answers were "Talk to your sales rep"...

In other words, there was no "predictable" licensing policy in which an ISV could use in pricing their products.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 28-Dec-2006 11:51

The BOF sessions are too obscure, lightly attended and poorly staffed. A dedicated track or at least a seminar is needed. IMHO the topic is too big for casual after-hours treatment.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 28-Dec-2006 11:55

Even if sessions were scheduled ... which seems unlikely, considering the amount of competition for slots ... it would still be very important to turn any presentations into whitepapers and add them to PSDN so that they can be referenced at need. At most, one can ask about historical and current questions in a live session, not future questions, which always arise. This is another reason for PSDN to create a partners forum here where one can ask such questions as they arise.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 28-Dec-2006 11:58

The BOF sessions are too obscure, lightly attended and poorly staffed.

Obscure & lightly attended? Probably. While there was only 2 staffers at the BOF's I was at, I believe they were upper-level people who could make/influence decisions. But some good conversations & ideas did come out of those sessions.

A dedicated track or at least a seminar is needed. IMHO the topic is too big for casual after-hours treatment.

Agreed.

Posted by rotherma on 03-Jan-2007 09:06

There is a presentation recording covering OpenEdge packaging and the various products. Go to http://www.psdn.com/library/entry.jspa?externalID=1881&categoryID=3.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 03-Jan-2007 10:04

I don't suppose that you know where in the 60 minute presentation I could fast-forward to in order to get to "the good part"

Posted by Alon Blich on 03-Jan-2007 10:17

Isn't a Development Server a 2 agent limited AppServer/WebSpeed Transaction Server ?

So you have everything you need in a development license for developing n-tier apps.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 03-Jan-2007 10:30

I don't know what it is. That's why I'm asking

If I find time to site through Sal's presentation and find an answer in there I'll post it. Until then, or until a definitive answer arrive from elsewhere, it remains a mystery to me.

It seems like there ought to be a document somewhere on PSDN that answers these sorts of questions but, so far, I haven't found it.

Posted by svi on 03-Jan-2007 10:43

Jaime and Alon's (last) replies are correct.

For information about the components and sub-components included in OpenEdge Development Server see: http://tinyurl.com/y4or3p

For information about products re-packaged into the OpenEdge Development Server with OpenEdge 10 see: http://www.progress.com/progress_software/products/docs/bu_sep/openedge_10_availability_guide.pdf

Posted by ChUIMonster on 03-Jan-2007 10:47

Thank you. I like that URL, I hadn't seen that before (and it didn't seem to show up when I searched for "OpenEdge Development Server")

Message was edited by:

Tom Bascom

Posted by Alon Blich on 03-Jan-2007 10:59

It's the 5th item in the table of contents.

Now I understand why it's Development Server and not Development AppServer or something else.

I really like when Salvador does the Web Events, he's a great teacher

Posted by ChUIMonster on 03-Jan-2007 11:04

We must be searching in different places. I searched from the search box on PSDN home and item #5 was "10.0B Java Open Clients manual" (none of the others seemed any more likely to work...)

Where were you searching from?

Posted by Admin on 03-Jan-2007 11:08

A bit late, but...

Some info from a few places:

(There are some other entries in the manuals if you search the pdf files on "Development Server")

Possibly out of date doc, can't find in my manuals:

"Run and validate code for a distributed applications on development-scaled AppServer(2 Agents), WebSpeed® Transaction Server(2 Agents), OpenEdge RDBMS (Personal, 1 Registered Client) and Client-Networking (1 Registered Client)."

===

From OE10 Platform and Product Availability Guide

It is a repackaging of Provision & Webspeed Development Server.

===

From KB P20143

Progress ProVision Plus Development Server:

A development version of the Progress Personal Database that consists of AppServer, WebSpeed Transaction Server, and Client Networking for testing.

===

OE Docs > Getting Started > Intallation Products & Components > >

Openedge Development Server Component List

Table 12-13

===

Message was edited by:

knuthandsome

Posted by Admin on 03-Jan-2007 11:10

psdn problems - edited repost

Message was edited by:

knuthandsome

Posted by Admin on 03-Jan-2007 11:18

psdn problems - edited repost

Message was edited by:

knuthandsome

Posted by Alon Blich on 03-Jan-2007 12:45

My mistake. I should have said in the Web Event Salvador gave.

http://www.psdn.com/library/entry.jspa?externalID=1881&categoryID=3.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 03-Jan-2007 12:53

Thanks for the tips guys.

I can't begin to keep up with all of the stuff that PSC publishes. Isn't the idea of "search" to consolidate all of these sources of information into a unified view?

This thread is closed