How to get out of an UPDATE statement

Posted by relgert on 20-Dec-2007 05:59

In code that I inherited, there is an

update MyVariable

and of course Progress sits there until you have done something,

I need to implement some kind of time out, if the user is idle for x amount of time.

I am running version 9.1C18

Any ideas?

All Replies

Posted by ChUIMonster on 20-Dec-2007 13:14

1) Upgrade from 9.1C. That's so old that it probably has fur.

2) Ask Progress to please implement native 4gl timers.

3) This is a really bad idea -- I only mention it to help Product Management understand the sorts of things that the lack of #2 forces people to do... but you could use an EDITING phrase and put a timeout on the READKEY.

4) You could also move into the 21st Century and rewrite your code using WAIT-FOR and ENABLE but you'll still probably end up wanting native timers.

Posted by relgert on 21-Dec-2007 06:31

1. Wish I could but our ERP package, is also old, and since we don't have source could not recompile. However, the company says we are upgrading late spring 2008.

2. Well there is an OCX (yuk) timer in the appbuilder, but when I start there, I cannot get the smart window to the size I want. Yes I wish it had a timer.

3&4 Well I am a VB/SQL programmer, limited in Progress, and I have used variations of this, and in test forms I can get this to work fairly well. In the live app that I am concerned about, the problem seems to be that while the focus in on the UPDATE variable in question, the user clicks one of the other buttons. Which then is executed, but then progress goes back to the update. Seems like I need a way to clear the stack, so the process starts over.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 21-Dec-2007 06:46

1. Wish I could but our ERP package, is also old,

and since we don't have source could not recompile.

9.1c, old erp... let me guess... Symix? Are you sure that you cannot recompile it?

However, the company says we are upgrading late

spring 2008.

There's hope!

2. Well there is an OCX (yuk)

Exactly. Yuk. It should have been integrated into the 4gl and made a native cross-platform widget 10 years ago.

timer in the appbuilder, but when I start there, I

cannot get the smart window to the size I want. Yes I

wish it had a timer.

3&4 Well I am a VB/SQL

programmer, limited in Progress, and I have used

variations of this, and in test forms I can get this

to work fairly well. In the live app that I am

concerned about, the problem seems to be that while

the focus in on the UPDATE variable in question, the

user clicks one of the other buttons. Which then is

executed, but then progress goes back to the update.

Seems like I need a way to clear the stack, so the

process starts over.

Have you tried applying "leave" to the widget being updated while in the button click trigger? You can mix event-driven code into traditional UI. It's kind of tricky to get right but it isn't completely impossible.

Posted by relgert on 21-Dec-2007 07:51

Well I did not know about editing pause on an update, so thanks for that, I have some test code that works correctly, and need to try and implement in live.

Yes we are using Symix/Syteline but upgrade in spring will be to the SQL version.

This thread is closed