Advantages of Progress Version 10 over Version 9

Posted by Admin on 24-Apr-2007 05:33

what is the advantage of Using Version 10 over Version 9 .

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 24-Apr-2007 11:20

A complete answer would be very long and would depend on the specific 9.x release and which OE10 release you meant. Even the difference between 10.1A and 10.1B is substantial. Is there a particular area you are interested in? Language? Database?

Posted by Admin on 25-Apr-2007 05:04

i would like to know the advantages with respect to JDBC Connectivity

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 25-Apr-2007 11:27

A much more limited realm. The simple answer is that virtually every point release has seen an improvement in some aspect of JDBC, ODBC, and/or SQL performance and/or bugs so there is a strong argument for being on the latest possible release if SQL access is important. In particular, the driver has become a type 4 wire protocol driver.

Posted by Admin on 25-Aug-2008 14:53

I was informed that we will have to upgrade from 9.1D to 10 when we upgrade the server to Server 2008? Is this correct/ Thanks!

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 25-Aug-2008 15:58

That appears to be the case. If you look at the Product Availability Guides at http://www.progress.com/openedge/products/lifecycle/index.ssp ... and why this document can't be found on PSDN, I don't know ... you will see that the latest supported platform for version 9 is Windows 2000. You will also note that even for OE10, it must be at least 10.1B and that Explorer doesn't work on that platform.

Of course, applying the Linux patch fixes all that ...

Posted by Admin on 25-Aug-2008 23:13

and why this document can't be found on

PSDN, I don't know ...

Maybe because the D in PSDN is for developer and that would make the rest of the target audience for this document run away...

You will also note that even for OE10, it must be at

least 10.1B and that Explorer doesn't work on that

platform.

Of course, applying the Linux patch fixes all that ...

Progress Explorer does not work on Linux either. So what's fixed by that "patch"?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 26-Aug-2008 00:11

Everything else ... but then, I never use Exploder, so it isn't a thing I focus on. I only noted it because it was one of the footnotes on the availability guide.

Posted by bbe on 05-Sep-2008 11:52

ok, not sure why you couldn't see:

http://www.psdn.com/library/entry.jspa?externalID=3233

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 05-Sep-2008 12:05

It just seems to be something I can never find when I go looking for it. Searching seemingly appropriate terms gets me a bunch of garbage, but not it, and trying to find it by the hierarchies doesn't seem to work either.

Posted by bbe on 16-Sep-2008 06:07

Well, you probably assume the Search on PSDN works same way as with Google but keep in mind that the Search in Jive (what's under the hood of PSDN) by default uses OR instead of AND in search strings so if you would search on:

If you would type in the search: platform availability guide

What it really searches for is: platform OR availability OR guide

So it's better to use: platform AND availability AND guide

We recognized that is a problem, our next platform will have AND as default.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 16-Sep-2008 11:36

In the short run, how about just adding a reminder of that in the search box area?

This thread is closed