Tell us what we need!

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 22-Jun-2008 14:04

Why oh why, when installing on Linux and it comes up with "A JVM was not detected", doesn't it tell us what JVM it is looking for so that we don't have to go grubbing through the docs to find what Java version goes with that Progress version.

All Replies

Posted by rstanciu on 24-Jun-2008 03:50

If you need to start only a database server or a CHUI client, on linux/unix system

you can only create a litte script shell named /bin/java which send a echo of

java -version, like this, for OE v.10.1C.

#!/bin/sh

echo java version \"1.5.0\"

echo "Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0-b64)"

echo "Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0-b64, mixed mode)"

and chmod +x /bin/java

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 24-Jun-2008 11:04

I have no problem with supplying the correct Java version ... it isn't hard to do. I just object to having to dig through a manual every time I do an update in order to find what Java version it wants. In the most recent case, it was a re-install, so the Java was already installed ... along with several other versions ... and all I needed to do was set the environment variables.

Posted by rstanciu on 25-Jun-2008 03:29

You can update the jre/jdk version and you have to modify the file:

$DLC/bin/java_env

search your OSNAME in the case and change the JDKHOME.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 25-Jun-2008 09:33

Yes, but my point is that the install will not work properly to install all components unless the Java is set up prior to proinst ... I get that ... it is simply that when it fails to find Java, I want it to tell me "I can't find Java x.y.z" so that I can go obtain that version or set up the environment variables for that version and try again. It should know what it wants. Why should I have to go dig it out of a manual?

Posted by ChUIMonster on 28-Jun-2008 11:19

I agree. The install process is brain-dead and needs a lot of work on the usability front. The Java related parts are some of the worst and most frustrating.

Posted by Admin on 29-Jun-2008 20:04

Finding which class files are missing ...

. $DLC/bin/slib_env
. $DLC/bin/java_env
ldd $DLC/bin/_sqlsrv

(From kCentre article P5892). In this case it is for the SQL92 server - basically acts in the same manner as the Win32 depends.exe. Would be nice to include a standard test based on the installed products - grep the output for 'not found' and fix the library path during the install (or copy required files into the derived library path). Often the java path/version errors present themselves as client 'bugs' (odbc failure, client appserver call failure) and can take some digging between the layers to find the final cause - better to resolve (or at least warn) of these issues during the install process.

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 16-Oct-2008 12:32

Why oh why, when installing on Linux and it comes up

with "A JVM was not detected", doesn't it tell us

what JVM it is looking for so that we don't have to

go grubbing through the docs to find what Java

version goes with that Progress version.

I think this is because it is not that "fixed" and subject to change.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 16-Oct-2008 12:54

No, for any given release, one goes into the installation manuals and it specifies a version of Java. It might or might not work with another version, but one is specified. If they aren't going to bundle it, as they do with Windows (and why not all of them?), all that would be required is a value to be passed to the installer that says, if you don't find a version of Java, tell them the version that is expected. If you do find a version of Java and it isn't this one, then you might issue a warning.

Posted by Simon de Kraa on 16-Oct-2008 13:41

Progress 9.1E on Red Hat Linux:

Manual: 1.3.1 SunJVM

Product avail guide: 1.3.1_10 and 1.4.1

The version I am using: 1.3.1_20

Current version: 1.3.1_??

Yes, they could be more helpful during the installation...

Maybe Progress is not allowed to bundle the SunJVM with anything else than Solaris? Don't know...

This thread is closed