Webclient + Vista/Windows 7 Virtual Storage

Posted by Darren Parr on 23-Jul-2009 04:29

Hi

I'm having a little issue and wonder if anyone has had to deal with it. We have a webclient application that has an issue with the generation of PDF documents in Vista. We create these documents on the fly and put them in SESSION:TEMP-DIR which is something like C:\Program Files\WebClientApps\....\Temp. Unfortunately Vista redirects any files created by webclient to a virtualstore folder. An example of which is C:\Users\Darren\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\WebClientApps\....\Temp.

The problem is that as soon as we run adobe reader and point it at our file, adobe reader is unable to find the file as its actually somewhere else. I know this stuff is controlled by a manifest which indicates that progress uses virtualisation for its files. As far as I can find out, its also impossible to turn this behaviour off. I have thought of setting the tempo directory to something like C:\Temp and having the webclient install create this in a system task procedure. Unfortunately the webclient does not seem to have elevated permissions when running this and hence its difficult to do this.

Any ideas?

Darren

All Replies

Posted by asthomas on 23-Jul-2009 04:40

How about using -T on the client and re-directing this to a directory you can control. like C:\Temp?

Posted by rbf on 23-Jul-2009 04:49

Hi Darren,

Generally it is a very bad idea to put user data in C:\Program Files\WebClientApps. You should consider this a program directory. In many cases access to this program directory is restricted for the user. Examples:

- the application is installed by an administrator and the user does not have administrator privileges

- the application is running on a Citrix server (basically the same situation as above)

I don't know the specifics of Vista, but you seem to be running into the same issue there.

Instead you should write user data to the user directory. You can find this in environment variable USERPROFILE. Typically you would create your own application directory here that you can use for configuration files, preferences etc.

In addition there is an environment variable TEMP for real temp stuff like maybe your pdf files. Also this environment variable points to a user specific directory on several windows operating systems so here you also have the permissions you need.

HTH.

Posted by Darren Parr on 23-Jul-2009 05:05

Thanks Peter. I'll give that a go.

This thread is closed