Progress 10.2A on Solaris - ODBC options?

Posted by alba1000000 on 13-Aug-2009 09:38

Hi, I'm hoping for some friendly advice, sorry if this question comes up alot.

I currently work with Progress10.2A run from a Unix Solaris system in a client/server fashion which provides a character based interface to several windows clients over g-link terminal.  I would like the ability to create a graphical interface using ASP/.net over ODBC from the existing UNIX server, but unsure of the best way/cheapest way to implement this. The main problem is finding the information I need regarding open edge ODBC drivers.  I was reasonably confident about the setup before an upgrade from version 9.  Are drivers still provided with version 10.2A?  Are there any suggestions that could help which may (dare I say it) avoid webspeed or any additional progress components?

Many thanks,

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 13-Aug-2009 11:15

There was a significant change from 9 to 10 ... most of the setup previously required is now not required.  If you have installed Progress and specified both ABL and SQL access and provided the -H and -S parameters, you should be good to go ... although there are circumstances where one needs to start additional brokers and such.

Posted by Admin on 13-Aug-2009 23:33

The ODBC driver should be included in the client/networking license or a product called "SQL Client Access".

As you are saying you are connecting client/server to the Solarix box, I assume you are using the TTY client running on windows. Then you should already own the client/networking license. If not I'd contact Progress sales/order admin and ask for clarification on your licenses. You might as well check your ESD account if you are able to download any of the mentioned products.

Development licenses by the way to also include the client/networking and as such the ODBC driver.

Posted by Admin on 13-Aug-2009 23:37

tamhas schrieb:

There was a significant change from 9 to 10 ... most of the setup previously required is now not required.  If you have installed Progress and specified both ABL and SQL access and provided the -H and -S parameters, you should be good to go ... although there are circumstances where one needs to start additional brokers and such.

Wasn't this chance from V8 to V9? In my memories the only thing that has changed between V9 and 10 was the quality of the SQL engine and the drivers.

Posted by alba1000000 on 14-Aug-2009 08:49

Thanks for the answers, I appreciate the help.

I have access to SQL client access client programs on ESD, although my concern is that from having undergone a standard install of Openedge on Solaris, the SQL components likely to be needed for this have not been selected as they are not mandatory.  I don't have an ODBC folder in the Progress directory.

Would it be possible to add the components using the add feature on the installation program or does a new install have to be carried out?  Would the additional components be under the client networking section?

Thanks again.

This thread is closed