-zqil & -zqilv Usage Question

Posted by adamk84 on 08-Feb-2010 16:09

Hi,

I was wondering where I would need to set these flags in order to use -zqil or -zqilv for some index usage tracing?

I recall from a previous post that it must be done on the clientside, but am unsure where I need to set this as I am unfamiliar with how to configure the clientside.

Using OpenEdge 10.2A

Thanks in advance

Adam

All Replies

Posted by kevin_saunders on 09-Feb-2010 03:26

If your client is windows, you can add them to the parameter file (.pf) referenced in the widows shortcut, or you can just add them to the end of the command after any other parameters.

e.g.: C:\Progress\OpenEdge\bin\prowin32.exe -pf myparam.pf -zqilv

If the client is *nix, just add them to the .pf or the script that kicks off the client session.

Posted by adamk84 on 09-Feb-2010 09:29

Thanks Kevin,

One other question related to the output of -zqil.

When I look into the db log im trying to decipher what the difference between Compiled Query Resolution Method and Server Query execution Method, see example below:

I ABL    16: (6135)   ==Compiled Query Resolution Method: Query No. 251==
| ABL    16: (6157)  INDEX 47 0 0
I ABL    16: (6136)   ==Server Query execution Method Query No. 251==
I ABL    16: (6141)  INDEX 47

Based on the above is the Compiled Query just what Progress figures the index will be? and the Server Query the actual one that gets run? also should I see values next to the index in the server query?

Thanks

Adam

Posted by kevin_saunders on 09-Feb-2010 10:04

I believe that is the case.

The values after the index number determine how many components matched the low end how many matched the high end.

There is a good explanation of the output in the KB No. 21216

Alternatively, being as you are using a modern version of Progress, you can use the client logging option on the client, with the log entry types (-logentrytypes parameter) and QryInfo.. Have a look in the Debugging and Troubleshooting doc here (chapter 6 specifically) for a more thorough explanation.

This thread is closed