attempt to define too many indexes for area 6 database

Posted by shireeshn on 04-May-2010 09:49

Hi all,

I got this error

'SYSTEM error: attempt to define too many indexes for area 6 database

DBI18992a13864 (40) (14675)'

From Progress help i found the problem is because of defining the temp-tables with index many times.

we have defined the static temp-table

In order to find the dynamic temptables deleted or not i have the code

DEFINE NEW SHARED TEMP-TABLE tt_check
    FIELD FIELD1 AS INT
    FIELD FIELD2 AS INT

DEFINE VARIABLE hBuffer AS HANDLE     NO-UNDO.

OUTPUT TO "c:\memdump.log" APPEND.
  PUT UNFORMATTED SKIP
    "** Dump: " TODAY STRING(TIME,'HH:MM:SS') SKIP
    "** Dynamic temp-tables **" SKIP.
  ASSIGN hBuffer = SESSION:FIRST-BUFFER.
  DO WHILE VALID-HANDLE(hBuffer):
    IF VALID-HANDLE((hBuffer:TABLE-HANDLE)) THEN DO:
      PUT hBuffer:TABLE-HANDLE:NAME FORMAT "x(20)" AT 2
          " ".
      &IF PROVERSION BEGINS "1" &THEN
        IF VALID-HANDLE(hBuffer:INSTANTIATING-PROCEDURE) THEN
          PUT hBuffer:INSTANTIATING-PROCEDURE:FILE-NAME FORMAT "x(40)".
      &ENDIF
      PUT SKIP.
    END.
    hBuffer = hBuffer:NEXT-SIBLING.
  END.
OUTPUT CLOSE.

This will work for static temp-tables also?

If not plz provide code to find the static temp-tables i am in urgent need.

Thanks in advance for help.

Regards

Shireesh.

All Replies

Posted by olivier.dunemann on 22-Jul-2010 04:09

Hi Shireesh,

We are facing the same problem.

It doesn't seem to be any way to log creation/deletion of static temp-tables. As far as I know, you can only trap implicit creation/deletion of temp-tables passed as parameter (through the client logging feature).

I've yet asked Progress Support if there's any secret tool to trap what exactly goes into the DBI temporary file, but it doesn't seem to be any neither.

I see your question was posted in May, so did you fix the problem on your own? Do you learn something about this issue?

Thanks for sharing.

Regards.

Posted by shireeshn on 22-Jul-2010 04:19

Hi olivier,

Yes we found the prob

1) transaction scope

If still you have the prob

Temp table having indexes is called many times in transaction. Use no-undo for temp-table.

This will solve the problem

Regards,

Shireesh

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 22-Jul-2010 08:03

The rule for static TT's is - if you run code with one or more TT definitions, all the TTs in the program are instiantiated when the program code is run, regardless of whether they're used or not.

Posted by olivier.dunemann on 22-Jul-2010 08:55

Thanks to you both.

The error occured in a class-based implementation of the OpenEdge Reference Architecture.
Believe me or not, there were only one temp-table defined without the NO-UNDO attribute. This temp-table held the context of each user's request. So it was indirectly involved in transactions.
Thanks again, Shireesh, for having focused my attention on this particular point.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 22-Jul-2010 10:12

Keep in mind that instantating too many temp tables has serious (negative) performance implications since the compiler / AVM doesn't optimize when the TTs are instantiated. This'll result in the TT tables overflowing in to the DBI file, which can get quite large along with the count of "current" TTs - I've personally seen DBI files in the hundred of MB size.

This means that putting a TT def'n in a single base class that's instantiated a lot of times will - in time - result in the TMTT problem.

Search for TMTT for other - lengthy - discussions on the point.

Posted by olivier.dunemann on 22-Jul-2010 12:01

Thanks Tim.

I've yet reviewed/followed a lot of discussions over the "TMTT" topic... it seems to be a never ending story.

During the debugging process, we've indeed observed that the DBI were growing up to reach 1GB!
Now that this is fixed, the DBI file remains around 1.5MB.
I'm still wondering if there is a way to log what's going into the DBI (I mean, static temp-tables or implicitly created ones).
There's some code to log dynamically created objects, but I haven't found anything yet regarding static TT.
Do you have any idea?

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 22-Jul-2010 14:33

TT performance / activity measurement is an area where the language is lacking.

The "next best" thing I can think of is the check out the LOG-MANAGER system handle.

This thread is closed