How Do I Backup ai Files?

Posted by Admin on 02-Aug-2010 18:29

Can someone tell me if ai files are backed up during a normal probkup (online)?  My ai files are located in a different directory than my database and I'd like to make sure I'm properly backing them up.  Do I need to specify a location in my backup script or command?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Cari Johnson

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 03-Aug-2010 11:25

AI files are backed up with OS utilities.

Posted by Admin on 03-Aug-2010 12:11

Ah, thanks...so I can just throw them onto tape with Backup Exec.  Thanks for your help.

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 03-Aug-2010 15:46

probkup will close the current AI file and then open another one, so as long that AI file is archived off to your remote directory, you can then backup that directory with the OS backup program.

Never backup an active db -or- AI file with an OS utility - the result will be un-usable.

Posted by Admin on 03-Aug-2010 15:49

That makes sense to me because I know you can't just backup a DB or Bi file with an OS backup.  So then I guess the real question is how do archive ai files and where do I specify the directory that I want to archive them to?

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 03-Aug-2010 15:56

The  key point here is not to back up an active file with OS utilities, but once the file is no longer active, you can use whatever you like and put it whereever you like.  You want them readily available in case you need to use them.  You might want a copy off site for better security in case of disaster.  You want them on a different disk than the DB so that both can't be destroyed with one failure.  But, other than that, it is just like any other file system backup.

Posted by Admin on 03-Aug-2010 15:56

I just found the documentation on the AI File Management Utility....I guess that answers my question on how to archive.  Thanks.

This thread is closed