Lock table overflow, increase -L on server (915) on specific

Posted by lace28 on 03-Nov-2010 12:29

I'm getting this error (Lock table overflow, increase -L on server (915)) when I try to lock specific records in a specific table.

I'm only using a "find first" with "exclusive-lock no-error no-wait" and the error comes up, which is odd since I'm only locking 1 record.

And other records of the same table will lock just fine, but some specific ones won't.

I looked at the _lock virtual system table and it's empty.

Any ideas?

Thank you

All Replies

Posted by lace28 on 03-Nov-2010 14:06

I figured it out:

I was doing:

find first 'tablename' where string(rowid('tablename')) = 'somerowid' exclusive-lock no-error no-wait.

It is apparently not a good idea to do this. The right way would be:

find first 'tablename' where rowid('tablename') = to-rowid('somerowid') exclusive-lock no-error no-wait.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 03-Nov-2010 17:15

The issue here is that when you do a find with exclusive lock which requires a scan, i.e., it can't be resolved with an index, then the DB engine locks all the records between the cursor starting position and the record it finds eventually.  This *can* be a *lot* of records!  The solution is to do the find no-lock and then refind with exclusive lock having already identified the record.

Which said, as you have discovered, your source problem is doing a string comparison.  It is that which is forcing the sequential search.  Why save the rowid as a string?

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 04-Nov-2010 07:32

Any "find" or "For each" statement which has a function on the table being looked up in will result in a table scan. For code which has an "exclusive-lock" spec, the engine will lock each record as it looks it up, and won't let the locks go until the TX ends.

So, the OP's single "FIND" statement was doing a table scan and locking every record during the process, thus blowing the "-L".

Posted by lace28 on 04-Nov-2010 07:37

Thanks for the info it helps a lot.

As far as saving the rowid as a string I think it's just bad practice among our group.

I suppose using the rowid datatype would be more efficient.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 04-Nov-2010 11:13

Indeed.  Why do two type conversions that are unnecessary, as well as using a datatype which inherently implies more processing to handle?

This thread is closed