JDBC Connect to OpenEdge on a Window server

Posted by brucejin on 25-Mar-2011 17:11

I downloaded OpenEdge 10 and installed on a WIndow box.

1) How to make it networked so I can access it from another server?

2) What is the default port number of openEdge?

3) Where to get a graphical Data Administration tool?

Thanks!

Bruce

All Replies

Posted by Matt Baker on 26-Mar-2011 09:36

Hi Bruce,

Make sure you install the JDBC drivers.  You will first need to create a database and start the database as a server.   You can do this from the commandline, or  you can create a database from within one of the development tools: either OE Architect or AppBuilder.  There is no default port number for an OpenEdge database, but when you start the server for the database you select the port number.  Once you have the JDBC drivers installed you can connect to it from any SQL based tool using the host and port number combination.

The admin tool for the OpenEdge services is browser based.  You can normally access it from http://localhost:9090 after installing the OpenEdge Explorer or OpenEdge Management license.  There is a schema editor built into OpenEdge Architect that will allow you to creat tables and such.

All the OpenEdge docs and quite a few video tutorials are available here on the communities website.  Take some time to watch them, most of them are just a few minutes long, they'll teach you quite a bit about the OpenEdge Development environment.

In the docs lookup the 'prodb' command to create a database from the command line.  And look up the 'proserve' command to start a server for the database from the command line.  You can also configure the port numbers and such from within OpenEdge Explorer tool.

All the docs for 10.2B are here including the one for SQL.

http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-103525

Posted by brucejin on 26-Mar-2011 19:06

Hi Matthew,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am reviewing the docs in the links you gave.

I did go to the browser explorer (localhost:9090), but I was asked for a user Id and password. I do not know the user/password. During the install process I was not asked to set up user/password.

I try to look for OE Architect or AppBuilder to download but cannot find them anywhere.

Thanks again.

Bruce

Posted by Matt Baker on 26-Mar-2011 21:03

Default user password is U:admin P:admin.  You'll be prompted to change it after you login the first time. 

I believe OEA is included in the eval kit.

Posted by brucejin on 27-Mar-2011 07:45

Thanks Matthew!

I logged in OpenEdge Explorer. Wow!. It looks like I can do something now.

I still cannot find OEA in my install. I watched tutorials and it looked like an Eclipse plugin. I did find an Eclipse OEA plugin on Eclipse site. But that plugin was updated in 2006.

I will continue to look.

Thanks!

Posted by Admin on 27-Mar-2011 07:51

I still cannot find OEA in my install.

Did you actually install it?

In your Progress/OpenEdge program group in the start menu (on Windows), please open the "Config" program an see if you have a product named "OpenEdge Architect" in the list.

I watched tutorials and it looked like an Eclipse plugin. I did find an Eclipse OEA plugin on Eclipse site. But that plugin was updated in 2006.

It is an Eclipse plugin, but it's not available on any public repository. It comes as a branched Eclipse IDE under the product name "OpenEdge Architect".

Posted by brucejin on 27-Mar-2011 08:58

Thanks Mike,

This is in my config. No OEA. Maybe I did not select it when I installed OE? I installed it twice and don't remember seeing an option for installing OEA. I can install it again.

Thanks.

Configuration File:   C:\Progress\OpenEdge\PROGRESS.CFG

Company Name:

Product Name:   OE Enterprise RDBMS
Installation Date:   Fri Mar 25 14:38:29 2011
User Limit:   1
Expiration Date:   None
Serial Number:   004196679
Control Numbers:   X8ESS - 2QGXM - 54G?6
Version Number:   10.2B          
Machine Class:   KB
Port Number:   31

Posted by Admin on 27-Mar-2011 09:06

You'll have to enter extra serial no./control codes for each product.

Posted by brucejin on 27-Mar-2011 09:12

Thanks Mike,

I am using Add Components to install OEA. Is this the way to do it? Or should I use setup.exe to do it.

When I select Add Components, it asks me to shutdown about 20 programs.

Thanks.

Posted by brucejin on 27-Mar-2011 09:18

Now I stopped Admin service, Add Components asks me to shutdown these 4 services:

C:\Progress\OpenEdge\setup.exe
C:\Progress\OpenEdge\img.dll
C:\Progress\OpenEdge\msg.dll
C:\Progress\OpenEdge\util.dll

Posted by brucejin on 27-Mar-2011 09:29

I ran setup.exe and get to the screen to install OEA.

But it looks like OEA requires SONIC install?

I will take a look.

Thanks!

Posted by Admin on 27-Mar-2011 09:41

It does not require Sonic. The installer is prompting for it during setup, but you don't need to care.

Posted by brucejin on 27-Mar-2011 10:20

OEA installed!

Wow, familiar Eclipse workbench! Now it’s time to work.

Thank you guys so much for your help. I can’t believe it is Saturday/Sunday and you are there to give great help.

Due to customer request we have to make our software support Progress OpenEdge. We are now supporting DB2, Oracle, MS SQL, MySQL, Postgres. Now we are going to add Progress to it. This is our software http://www.mrc-productivity.com/

Thanks again.

Will have more questions.

Bruce Jin

Posted by brucejin on 28-Mar-2011 13:58

Yes, my question has been answered.Thanks.

This thread is closed