Progress procedure as a windows service

Posted by gdb390 on 02-May-2011 02:21

Hello,

Is it possible to let a .p run as a windows service ?

kind regards

gerd

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 02-May-2011 03:48

You can use the executable srvany.exe for this. It allows you to run any executable as a service. You can run "_progres.exe -b -p myprogram.p" with this service. You can then start your service from the control panel. However, Progress will not shut down when you stop the service.

More info: here

Another - better - option might be to use the Windows Task Scheduler. This runs as a service too, but can be stopped and paused more conveniently. We use this for our batches. By setting it to run every 5 minutes, whenever a batch would crash, it would be restarted after maximum 5 minutes.

Posted by gdb390 on 09-May-2011 07:31

will this also work on an 64-bit machine ? (assuming I have that resource kit)

Gerd

Posted by Admin on 09-May-2011 09:23

My guess would be "yes" since normally 64-bit would not have a problem running 32-bit programs, but I have not tested this.

As I mentioned, we switched to using the task scheduler. This certainly works under 64-bit

Posted by goo on 21-Jun-2018 01:50

Is there another way of doing this with windows server 2012/2016 with 11.7 ? All info I find tells that instrsrv.exe or srvany.exe is not used anymore.

In an erarlier project, we had a .Net programmer makeing it, but now I need to do it without that .net programmer :-)

Posted by Mike Fechner on 21-Jun-2018 01:54

Jenkins, ANT and PCT? The combination can be used for way more than CI.

It’s a great way to execute ABL procedures automatically, scheduled, permanently, get emails on failures etc.

Posted by marian.edu on 21-Jun-2018 02:08

And no node.js Mike? :)

https://www.npmjs.com/package/os-service

Marian Edu

Acorn IT
+40 740 036 212

Posted by Mike Fechner on 21-Jun-2018 02:14

I’m sure that Geir’s Progress procedure was not written in JavaScript.

/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/26/1121.image003.png