Please don't

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 22-Jul-2011 11:21

The 11.0 Beta page http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-107039 says that OpenEdge Architect is being renamed Progress Development Studio.  Please don't!  I don't care what you call it, but we do not need PDS as an ambiguous acronym.  It is deeply entrenched as the acronym for ProDataSet, so you really need to pick another name for what is now OEA.

All Replies

Posted by SJProgress on 22-Jul-2011 11:26

Vielen Dank für Ihre Nachricht! Ich werde ab 8. Autust wieder im Büro sein und Ihre Email-Nachricht beantworten.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen - Josef Siegetsleitner, Easyrent Software Entwicklung

Thank you for your message! I will return to my office on August, 8th and will answer your email then.

Best regards - Josef Siegetsleitner - Easyrent Software Development

Posted by Admin on 22-Jul-2011 12:21

As long as the new name is not an indicator for merging OEA and OES into a single development license I am also not a fan of such a change in name.

Not so much because I'm afraid of another TLA, but the majority of users in the field is already today confused with the names of the IDE

ProVision

ProVision Plus

OpenEdge Studio

OpenEdge Architect

A never ending story?

And also, please no new name for the 4GL please

Posted by asthomas on 22-Jul-2011 12:36

You mean ABL

Regards / Med Venlig Hilsen 

Thomas Hansen

Director

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 22-Jul-2011 12:59

One might hope that the name change related to eliminating a distinction between Studio and Architect, but my guess is that the more significant piece is rebranding from OpenEdge to Progress, i.e., that the idea is to move away from the idea that it is possible to run OEA and the Sonice IDE in the same copy of Eclipse to the idea that one can run all Progress IDEs in the same tool.

It is just an unfortunate choice of name.

Posted by Admin on 22-Jul-2011 16:16

You mean ABL

See how confused I am

This thread is closed