Running OE 11 along with 10.2B

Posted by vjug on 18-Dec-2011 12:17

Does anyone use OE11 on the same machine together with active 10.2B installation? After installing OE11 all developer tools (Architect,Studio) work, admin service starts but I can't get OpenEdge Explorer to work. I'm starting either 11 or 10.2B (never both at same time) but OpenEdge Explorer doesn't work on any version. None of the installation or working paths overlaps, admin service ports are separately set in admin service startup commands, only thing that is the same is OE Explorer's port (9090 by default) but they never run both at the same time. I had the same issue with OE11 BETA but I thought it's something that will be ok in final version. Does anyone have same problems? How to troubleshoot these issues?

All Replies

Posted by jmls on 18-Dec-2011 12:44

I had no problem with 11 beta and 10.2B on the same machine.

I cannot comment now, though, because I only have 11 installed of course

Julian

On 18 December 2011 18:18, Vjekoslav Jug

Posted by Roy Ellis on 19-Dec-2011 07:56

Hi,

I have had 10.2B and 11.0 running on the same machine for the whole 2 year development cycle so we should be able to get you working. 

I would start with your admserv.log file, you will find this log in your working directory.  Look for messages from OE Explorer, usually a [Fathom] in the line.  Also look for port 9090 by default and see if that port is opened.

Let me know what you find,

Roy

Posted by vjug on 19-Dec-2011 08:28

Thank You for advices. I did checked my admserv.log even before posting but there is nothing that I find suspicious there (there's a copy of log attached to this post). I've also checked fathom.init.params and it seems ok (also attached).

With the help of AnVir Task manager I've checked ports and as I see adminservice is active on port 20931, but there is nothing on port 9090.

I forgot to mention before that my OS is Windows 7 64-bit.

[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/26/admserv.log.zip:550:0]

[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/26/fathom.init.params.zip:550:0]

Posted by Roy Ellis on 19-Dec-2011 09:00

Okay, your admserv.log file shows that OE Explorer plugin is not being loaded.  Your admserv.log should show this:

[12/19/11 9:15:19 AM] [2] [AdminServer]           Added ServerPlugin: Plugin.Fathom (7431)

Try looking in your %DLC%\properties\AdminServerPlugins.properties file and see if the fathom.jar is in the [PluginPolicy.Fathom] section (or anywhere in the file).

Posted by vjug on 19-Dec-2011 09:46

It's there, but it looks kinda strange to me:

#
# Fathom Policy (i.e. Classloader)
#
[PluginPolicy.Fathom]
    pluginclasspath=!{value-of:classpath}
    classpath=E:\PROGRE~1/java/progress.jar,E:\Work11\oemgmt/jars/fmpatch.jar,E:\Work11\oemgmt/jars/fathom.jar,E:\PROGRE~1/java/ext/fmext.jar,E:\Work11\oemgmt/jars/javax.servlet.jar,E:\Work11\oemgmt/jars/org.apache.jasper.jar,E:\Work11\oemgmt/3party/jars/AdventNetAgentToolkit.jar,E:\Work11\oemgmt/3party/jars/AdventNetSnmp.jar,E:\Work11\oemgmt/3party/jars/AdventNetSnmpAgent.jar

Could it be a Java problem? I mentioned before that I had same problems with BETA, but I thought it's a bug. If it is Java issue how to troubleshoot that?

Posted by SJProgress on 19-Dec-2011 11:09

Already tried "unglue" and "reglue" (we almost everytime have to do that in proenv to get OpenEdge Explorer work)

Posted by Roy Ellis on 19-Dec-2011 12:28

Okay, is the fathom.jar file actually in the correct location \jars?  With the plugin not loading its usually a problem where OE Explorer is not found on the AdminServer classpath.

Posted by asthomas on 19-Dec-2011 13:35

I am also having problems now with OE 10.2B and OE 11.0 - on 2 different machines!

I had it working with the latest beta of OE 11.0, after having to tweak the config files to set different ports for the admin server - both -port and -adminport had to be set.

Now, I uninstalled the OE 11 beta, rebooted and then installed the PSDN download of OE 11.

Reconfigured the .properties files and started the admin server - and this all works - for OE 11.

However, my 10.2B installations on both machines (Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 2008 R2 64-bit) are now both corrupted somehow. The error I am getting is differerent from Vjekoslavs:

[11-12-19 20:25:38] [2] [Database]              Using user provided properties file D:\OpenEdge102B\properties\conmgr.properties. (8250)
[11-12-19 20:25:38] [0] [*UnexpectedError*]   * recorded as exception #21 in file ads0.exp.
[11-12-19 20:25:38] [3] [Database]              Opening socket connection on port: 7832 (8462)
[11-12-19 20:25:38] [3] [Database]              Connecting to socket... (8463)
[11-12-19 20:25:38] [3] [STDERR]                AdminServer failed to start:

I have compared backups of .properties files - and cannot see anything that would explain this.

Maybe this can help in finding out what the originally posted problem is - and mine ....

Regards

Thomas

Posted by egarcia on 19-Dec-2011 14:31

Hello Thomas,

Could you attach the ads0.exp file?

Thanks.

Posted by asthomas on 19-Dec-2011 15:13

Hi Edsel,

Here you go....

I have tried to remove the entries for databases in conmngr.properties one by one - ending up with no entries at all. But this has not made any difference. The error about incorrect settings in the properties file goes away, but the AdminServer still does not start. Unfortunately, the error is not very useful now, as it just says:

[11-12-19 21:45:53] [2] [Database]              Using user provided properties file D:\OpenEdge102B\properties\conmgr.properties. (8250)
[11-12-19 21:45:54] [1] [Database]              Loading configuration file... (7385)
[11-12-19 21:45:54] [3] [Database]              Opening socket connection on port: 7842 (8462)
[11-12-19 21:45:54] [3] [Database]              Connecting to socket... (8463)
[11-12-19 21:45:54] [3] [STDERR]                AdminServer failed to start:

Could it be something to do with changed environment variables by the OE 11 install, different version of Java, ...?

[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/26/ads0.exp.zip:550:0]

Regards

Thomas

Posted by egarcia on 19-Dec-2011 16:16

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for posting the ads0.exp.

Exception #21 points to an invalid property value in conmgr.properties.

I noticed that next log entry in the admserv.log file corresponds to [DatabaseAgent].

I am guessing that the issue that you are running into is because the AdminServer in 11.0 is using the same port number as 10.2B for the adminport and for the database agent.

A way to prevent this issue would be to specify the database agent port in DLC/properties/agent.properties:

[agent]
port=9999

You would also need to change the adminport used by the AdminServer.

You can change the adminport using the property "adminport" in the [PluginPolicy.Progress.AdminServer] section of the AdminServerPlugins.properties file.

If you start the AdminServer using proadsv, you can specify the -adminport parameter.

I hope this helps.

Posted by asthomas on 19-Dec-2011 16:24

Hi Edsel,

I have both the port and adminport set to different ports. So that is not it.

The weird thing is that even when I only try to run 10.2B, then the admin server still does not start - even after a reboot.

I am going to try and re-install 10.2B on one machine now to see if that works. Spent too many hours trying to work out what could be causing this. Comparing the two machine's 10.2B installations afterwards may reveal something...

Regards / Med Venlig Hilsen 

Thomas Hansen

Director

Posted by vjug on 20-Dec-2011 02:06

I think I figuered out something. First, I didn't checked my 10.2B good enough to find out it's actually not working. Admin service did started on 10.2B, but in log file there's an error (the same as Thomas listed here) and there is no java.exe processes. I checked AdminServer Plugin Properties file again and I noticed that [PluginPolicy.Fathom]section for OE11 is in my 10.2B properties file! Because of this OE11 didn't started (no plugin declaration) and 10.2B didn't started because it had this corrupted (OE11 overwrote it). And I also have a suspect for this: at the time of installation I had system variable DLC manually set to 10.2B so it may influenced OE11's installation.

I will 'repair' my configuration files to see if this helps without reinstalling OE

Posted by asthomas on 20-Dec-2011 02:34

I have re-installed 10.2B, as I also suspected that my install had been corrupted somehow - and after hours of debugging, didn't want to waste any more time with it. The re-installed 10.2B seems to work fine now. So now to find out what is different - as I have 2 machines that had the problem.

Thomas Hansen

Director

Posted by vjug on 20-Dec-2011 08:09

Finally!

As I said before, OE11 installation 'corrupted' my 10.2B AdminServerPlugins.properties and sections [Plugin.Fathom] and  [PluginPolicy.Fathom] went there instead of to OE11. Nice thing is that  previous version is nicely backed up under the same name + timestamp.  First I restored 10.2B's original and then i copied missing sections to OE11's AdminServerPlugins.properties and now it works! Here are the secions missing if someone else needs it (be careful to adjust the path).

[Plugin.Fathom]
     dependancy=Plugin.Database,Plugin.System
     pluginpolicy=PluginPolicy.Fathom
     uniquetype=fathom
     classname=com.progress.isq.ipqos.plugin.FathomPlugIn

#

# Fathom Policy (i.e. Classloader)

#

[PluginPolicy.Fathom]

pluginclasspath=!{value-of:classpath}

classpath=E:\PROGRE~1/java/progress.jar,E:\Work11\oemgmt/jars/fmpatch.jar,E:\Work11\oemgmt/jars/fathom.jar,E:\PROGRE~1/java/ext/fmext.jar,E:\Work11\oemgmt/jars/javax.servlet.jar,E:\Work11\oemgmt/jars/org.apache.jasper.jar,E:\Work11\oemgmt/3party/jars/AdventNetAgentToolkit.jar,E:\Work11\oemgmt/3party/jars/AdventNetSnmp.jar,E:\Work11\oemgmt/3party/jars/AdventNetSnmpAgent.jar

Posted by asthomas on 20-Dec-2011 08:19

Nice catch!

I also managed to get my machines working again - but by re-installing OE 10.2B from scratch and then copying the relevant .property files back in.

Thomas Hansen

Director

Posted by vjug on 20-Dec-2011 08:36

I bet if I didn't set DLC in system environment it would be just fine. Another interesting behaviour is that when I have DLC set DevStudio starts database with that version no matter what version of DevStudio it is. After deleting DLC variable it starts each project with proper version (the one I'm starting with)

This thread is closed