PANS

Posted by ChUIMonster on 18-Jan-2012 08:11

Does anyone else get multiple copies of PANS alerts every morning?  Maybe it is just to emphasize how important they are but I'm getting 3 copies.

Also, what is the point of making me play "guess the userid and password" every time I click on something that is listed in the e-mail?  Why doesn't it just open the appropriate kbase article like it used to?

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 18-Jan-2012 08:17

chuimonster schrieb:

Does anyone else get multiple copies of PANS alerts every morning?  Maybe it is just to emphasize how important they are but I'm getting 3 copies.

You get three copies? Now I feel unimportant. I only get two :-)

Also, what is the point of making me play "guess the userid and password" every time I click on something that is listed in the e-mail?  Why doesn't it just open the appropriate kbase article like it used to?

Especially since in the meantime there is a link to a public k-base available:

http://progresscustomersupport-survey.force.com/OpenEdgeKB

Please, please, please Progress or Salesforce or whoever fix the links in the PANS Emails to link to the articles on the public K-Base.

That would really improve my start into each day.

Posted by jmls on 18-Jan-2012 08:26

you feel unimportant ? I get none ....

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 18-Jan-2012 09:06

I get one alert, when I go through the PANS I have a separate browser open which I drag links over to.Once I'm logged in on the 2nd browser, this works fine w/out needing to login again.

Posted by Admin on 18-Jan-2012 09:08

timk519 schrieb:

I get one alert, when I go through the PANS I have a separate browser open which I drag links over to.Once I'm logged in on the 2nd browser, this works fine w/out needing to login again.

Yes, it's at least good, that the single sign on works...

Btu why do we need to login in the first place, when the information is publicly available using a different link.

Posted by ChUIMonster on 18-Jan-2012 09:53

Yet another contorted workaround?

How about a nice, friendly, easy to use interface?

Yeesh!  Are they trying to make it so that nobody wants to use this thing?

Posted by gus on 18-Jan-2012 11:32

So which one of you is getting mine?

Posted by jmls on 18-Jan-2012 11:46

I can certainly state not me

On 18 January 2012 17:32, Gus Bjorklund

Posted by ChUIMonster on 18-Jan-2012 14:19

I know that SupportLink is perfect in every way but, humor me, supposing that I was crazy enough to want to have just one notice at a time...  Who would I try to contact?

(Maybe I could even ask to have the extras sent to Julian and Gus!)

Posted by Admin on 18-Jan-2012 14:36

Maybe I could even ask to have the extras sent to Julian and Gus!

A donation. Was that your new years resolution.

Posted by Torben on 19-Jan-2012 08:46

I get 3 OpenEdge notifications

Posted by Rob Fitzpatrick on 23-Jan-2012 14:53

I used to get two copies of each e-mail, as I had an old Progress ID that I wasn't using that was also subscribed to PANS.  Once I figured that out I logged in with the old one and unsubscribed.

As far as clicking the e-mail links is concerned, each day I have to log in after clicking the first link, and then with subsequent ones (within some time limit) I don't have to authenticate again.  Also, the authentication page I get gives me a red "authentication failed" message before I even log in.  I say "within some time limit" because after some period of time SalesForce decides I'm inactive and puts up a pop-up window (annoying) prompting me to stay logged in, or not.  If I'm away from my desk and it times out, I get a different pop-up that is basically some kind of generic SalesForce advertisement.  It looks rather garish.

I like the idea of "single sign-on" in principle, but the execution leaves room for improvement.  Sometimes I'm told I failed to authenticate before I even try.  Sometimes I'm asked to authenticate twice in a row, once on a progress.com URL and once on a salesforce URL.  There's no rhyme or reason that I can see.  Personally my ideal would be something like Gmail: I authenticate once and the check a box that says "Remember me", and then I'm good to go.  Maybe that's considered too lax for things like software download, but it sure would be nice for things I use every day and consider to be relatively low-security, like PSDN Communities and the Partner KB.

This thread is closed