Which .jar files are required to connect via JDBC for each v

Posted by abe.voelker on 08-Jun-2012 15:31

Is there a document or table somewhere that lists which .jar files are required to connect via JDBC for each version of OpenEdge?

For example, I know which ones 10.1C and 10.2B need:

OE Version.jar files required
10.0Bjdbc.jar + native libraries: JdbcProgress(.dll,.so), procli92(.dll,.so) (?) [JDBC Type 2]
10.1A? http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-16256
10.1B? http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-16250
10.1Cbase.jar, openedge.jar, util.jar
10.2Abase.jar, openedge.jar, util.jar
10.2B
openedge.jar
11.0openedge.jar

Where can I go to find the rest?

All Replies

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 08-Jun-2012 15:49

You need whatever is supplied with the appropriate SQL Client ... why go hunting for jar files?

Posted by Admin on 08-Jun-2012 16:06

You need whatever is supplied with the appropriate SQL Client ... why go hunting for jar files?

Because that is what he needs to make available to his client application... I'd suggest that Abe checks the SQL Development guide of the Progress docs in the appropriate version.

For 10.2B the openedge.jar file should be sufficient. A

Posted by abe.voelker on 08-Jun-2012 17:03

Thanks Mike, you are correct about 10.2B only needing openedge.jar and I was able to find some of the others as well using the SQL Development handbooks (I updated my table).  Any clues on where to find the same info on 10.0B, 10.1A, or 10.1B?  Perhaps those versions pre-date the DataDirect drivers?

Posted by abe.voelker on 08-Jun-2012 17:04

I need the .jar files so I can call the proper DataDirect methods and such to do the JDBC communication with the OE SQL engine... what is the "SQL Client" you speak of?

Posted by Admin on 09-Jun-2012 03:01

Historic documentation is available here: http://communities.progress.com/pcom/docs/DOC-16074

Looks like 10.0A is missing - or I need more coffee this morning,

The SQL guides are typically in the data management collection or such.

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 09-Jun-2012 09:40

SQL Client is the product which PSC provides to install on a client for SQL communication with the DB.  Up through 9.x it was sold.  From 10.0 on it is a free download, but one has to talk to one's rep to get it available on ESD.   Client Networking, the product one installs on a client to do ABL communication with the DB or AppServer, also includes the SQL Client as an optional install.

Posted by abe.voelker on 09-Jun-2012 15:02

Thanks for the info; you guys' knowledge of Progress is very helpful as I've never had that (just worked for a company for a while that used OpenEdge; never had a direct line to PSC).  So far the bare .jar files are adequate, but I might also explore this SQL Client in the future.  Thanks

Posted by Thomas Mercer-Hursh on 09-Jun-2012 15:32

The puzzling part to me is that I would expect the SQL Client to be the source of the jar files ...

Posted by Admin on 09-Jun-2012 15:46

The puzzling part to me is that I would expect the SQL Client to be the source of the jar files ...

Exactly that - and nothing more

Posted by abe.voelker on 09-Jun-2012 15:50

Thanks, you are right once again.  The older versions are JDBC Type 2 drivers, so have some native libraries that come with them (.dll / .so files).  They are different enough in structure that I'll just ignore them until someone would need support for them.  Danke!

This thread is closed