Recommended approach - deployment of adm2, adecomm advice

Posted by Darren Parr on 23-Jul-2012 12:03

Hi

We have compiled our app in 11.1 and have upgraded the adm2 version to the shipped 11.1 version. I have noticed that the eclipse stuff now has infected the adm2.

containr.p need oeideservice.i from adecomm. We're used to this with as-utils.w but am a little concerned that I now should be shipping oeideservice.p as its needed.

A little advice would be appreciated. We've always shipped the adm2. In the early days the adm2 was missing from deployment environments. Now however it

seems to be there,

Thanks

Darren

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 23-Jul-2012 12:41

We have compiled our app in 11.1 and have upgraded the adm2 version to the

shipped 11.1 version. I have noticed that the eclipse stuff now has

infected the adm2.

containr.p need oeideservice.i from adecomm. We're used to this with as-

utils.w but am a little concerned that I now should be shipping

oeideservice.p as its needed.

oeideservice.i and .p are in containr.p in at least 10.1C (earliest version I have currently on my machine to check against), and I believe that it's been there since the first version of OE Architect.

oeideservice.i and .p are in $DLC/src/adecomm.pl. This PL should be included in your propath by default, and the files should be found there.

A little advice would be appreciated. We've always shipped the adm2. In

the early days the adm2 was missing from deployment environments. Now

however it seems to be there,

ADM2 has been shipped "in the box" (ie with the standard install) for ages now, to the best of my recollection. What deployments was it not shipped in?

-- peter

Posted by egarcia on 23-Jul-2012 12:49

Hello,

In case that this helps.

The oeideservice.i include file provides some variables and function  prototypes that allow the embedding of windows into views in Progress  Developer Studio for OpenEdge as part of the AppBuilder integration.

I believe this support was added in 10.1C.

oeideservice.i is only needed when compiling the code. It is accessed via the PROPATH from DLC/gui/adecomm or DLC/tty/adecomm.

oeideservice.p is only needed and used when running within PDSOE.

I hope this helps.

Posted by Håvard Danielsen on 23-Jul-2012 12:51

Note that oeideservice.i is shipped in gui/adecomm .

The rule is that any include file referenced by ADM2 must be available without the need to unpack it from a .pl.  (I'm not sure if this is valid for adm2/support)

Posted by Darren Parr on 24-Jul-2012 07:21

Hi

pjudge wrote:

We have compiled our app in 11.1 and have upgraded the adm2 version to the

shipped 11.1 version. I have noticed that the eclipse stuff now has

infected the adm2.

containr.p need oeideservice.i from adecomm. We're used to this with as-

utils.w but am a little concerned that I now should be shipping

oeideservice.p as its needed.

oeideservice.i and .p  are in containr.p in at least 10.1C (earliest version I have currently on my machine to check against), and I believe that it's been there since the first version of OE Architect.

oeideservice.i and .p are in $DLC/src/adecomm.pl. This PL should be included in your propath by default, and the files should be found there.

A little advice would be appreciated. We've always shipped the adm2. In

the early days the adm2 was missing from deployment environments. Now

however it  seems to be there,

ADM2 has been shipped "in the box" (ie with the standard install) for ages now, to the best of my recollection. What deployments was it not shipped in?

-- peter

I do recall that the 1st v9 releases of the adm2 were not included with deployment components.

I'm just looking at taking a legacy application and upgrading its version of the ADM2. The current version goes right back to 9.1. It doesn't make use of much of the ADM2 and is generally using the infrastructure for the container functionality and some bespoke smart links.

Its continued to work for a while but want it upgraded as we want to look at utilising the dataview.

It just took me by surprise that I needed something from adecomm, thats all.

As the ADM2 seems to change with patches, I still want to fix the adm2 version at a certain level for desployment.

Thanks

Darren

Posted by Peter Judge on 24-Jul-2012 08:01

I'm just looking at taking a legacy application and upgrading its version

of the ADM2. The current version goes right back to 9.1. It doesn't make

use of much of the ADM2 and is generally using the infrastructure for the

container functionality and some bespoke smart links.

Its continued to work for a while but want it upgraded as we want to look

at utilising the dataview.

It just took me by surprise that I needed something from adecomm, thats

all.

As the ADM2 seems to change with patches, I still want to fix the adm2

version at a certain level for desployment.

If you want to fix a version of the ADM2, then you're going to have to deploy that fixed version yourself, and not depend on the version that's shipped with the install. You'll also need to exclude the standard ADE libraries from PROPATH. The -baseADE flag on prowin32 startup (ie shortcut) will allow you to do this.

-- peter

Posted by Håvard Danielsen on 24-Jul-2012 08:38

darrenp wrote:

It just took me by surprise that I needed something from adecomm, thats all.

As the ADM2 seems to change with patches, I still want to fix the adm2 version at a certain level for desployment.

Darren

It is something we try to avoid, but the ADM2 has always included a few adecomm files. As mentioned, we then also make sure they are shipped in a way that ensures that ADM2 can be compiled out of the box.

This thread is closed