Is there a way to call the stack trace window?

Posted by jquerijero on 31-Aug-2012 11:11

I'm trying to find a way to initiate the stack trace window that you can access of a message-box when you have the debugging enabled. Is this feasible? Also is there a good way to grab the stack trace aside from traversing the executing programs tree?

All Replies

Posted by rbf on 31-Aug-2012 11:15

Yes if you use structured error handling.

The Progress.Lang.Error interface has a CallStack property that returns the stack trace contents. You need to set the -errorstack session startup parameter (or SESSION:ERROR-STACK-TRACE).

Posted by Peter Judge on 31-Aug-2012 11:17

AFAIK, the only way is to set SESSION:DEBUG-ALERT = true (or -debugalert) and MESSAGE VIEW-AS .

You can get a stack track using structured error handling (enable via SESSION:ERROR-STACK-TRACE or -errorstack). You would have to throw something in order to query the CallStack property on a P.L.Error.

-- peter

Posted by Admin on 31-Aug-2012 11:17

AFAIK there's only the travering of the PROGRAM-NAME function and throwing an error that you catch yourself for this sole purpose.

I assume you don't need the stack too often, so that should be acceptable - even though far from perfect.

Posted by jquerijero on 31-Aug-2012 11:22

I actually need a snapshot of the stack-trace at any given time. The MESSAGE ... VIEW-AS can access the stack-trace anytime and not just when there is an error or exception, so I am wondering if that information is accessible from somewhere.

Posted by jquerijero on 31-Aug-2012 11:24

I'm trying to display an on-demand stack-trace infromation not just when there is an error or exception.

Posted by Admin on 31-Aug-2012 11:32

I'm trying to display an on-demand stack-trace infromation not just when there is an error or exception.

Understood - but why don't you throw an error just to catch it yourself?

Posted by Peter Judge on 31-Aug-2012 11:32

You'd need to add code to trigger the event, right? So whether it was a MESSAGE statement or a THROW doesn't really matter. You could do a small, localised error with the express purpose of getting the call stack. Yes, this is a horrible abuse of an error/exception, but I'm not sure there are alternatives. I don't believe that the stack trace is accessible otherwise, except via something like:

iLoop = 1.

DO WHILE PROGRAM-NAME(iLoop) NE ?:

/* whatever */ PUT UNFORMATTED PROGRAM-NAME(iLoop) SKIP.

iLoop = iLoop + 1.

END.

Is this missing something (data-wise) that the MESSAGE dialog's stack has?

-- peter

Posted by Admin on 31-Aug-2012 11:37

Put this pseudo-property in a class, e.g. Consultingwerk.Util.SessionHelper.

/*------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Purpose: Returns the current ABL stack trace

Notes:  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

DEFINE PUBLIC STATIC PROPERTY CurrentStacktrace AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO

GET():

DEFINE VARIABLE cStacktrace        AS CHARACTER NO-UNDO.

DEFINE VARIABLE lCurrentErrorStack AS LOGICAL NO-UNDO.

DEFINE VARIABLE iIndex AS INTEGER NO-UNDO.

ASSIGN lCurrentErrorStack         = SESSION:ERROR-STACK-TRACE

SESSION:ERROR-STACK-TRACE  = TRUE .

DO ON ERROR UNDO, THROW:

UNDO, THROW NEW AppError () .    

CATCH err AS Progress.Lang.Error:

ASSIGN cStacktrace = err:CallStack .     

END CATCH.

END.

ASSIGN iIndex = R-INDEX (cStacktrace, CHR (10)) .

IF iIndex > 1 THEN

ASSIGN cStacktrace = SUBSTRING (cStacktrace, 1, iIndex - 1) .

RETURN cStacktrace .

FINALLY:

ASSIGN SESSION:ERROR-STACK-TRACE = lCurrentErrorStack .     

END FINALLY.

END GET.

And then try this anywhere you need to:

MESSAGE "You are here:" SKIP Consultingwerk.Util.SessionHelper:CurrentStacktrace VIEW-AS ALERT-BOX.

Posted by jquerijero on 31-Aug-2012 11:55

That's fine I guess. How about displaying the stak-trace window that you can view from the message-box, can you call it as standalone window?

Posted by Admin on 31-Aug-2012 13:52

That's fine I guess. How about displaying the stak-trace window that you can view from the message-box, can you call it as standalone window?

No.

This thread is closed