Is there a limit regarding the number of parameters an appse

Posted by jeferson.molin on 09-May-2013 09:50

Hi there!

I'm implementing a java application which is going to integrate with another Open Edge application through an appserver connection.
The java application will send approximately 70 input parameters to the Open Edge app, which are all temporary tables.

My main concern is whether the appserver can handle 70 parameters all at once and whether I may face troubles when the procedure receives a large amount of data.

Has anyone out there ever faced such situation?

Best regards,
Jeferson.

All Replies

Posted by Peter Judge on 09-May-2013 10:16

From waaaaayyyy back in the day, I remember a limit around the number of temp-tables (32) you could pass to and from an AppServer. This was for ABL-ABL (so I don't know whether it's an issue for OpenClient-ABL).

This limit was also in the days before arrays were allowed to be passed to an AppServer, (ie we had to pass the tables as below). It was most certainly before variable extent arrays too. I do not know if this limit was ever lifted (I couldn't find a bug for this in a quick search).

RUN ry/app/rygetclassp.p ON gshAstraAppserver (

INPUT pcClassName, OUTPUT TABLE ttClass APPEND,

OUTPUT TABLE-HANDLE hClassTable[01], OUTPUT TABLE-HANDLE hClassTable[02],

OUTPUT TABLE-HANDLE hClassTable[03], OUTPUT TABLE-HANDLE hClassTable[04],

OUTPUT TABLE-HANDLE hClassTable[05], OUTPUT TABLE-HANDLE hClassTable[06],

... snip ...

OUTPUT TABLE-HANDLE hClassTable[25], OUTPUT TABLE-HANDLE hClassTable[26],

OUTPUT TABLE-HANDLE hClassTable[27], OUTPUT TABLE-HANDLE hClassTable[28],

OUTPUT TABLE-HANDLE hClassTable[29], OUTPUT TABLE-HANDLE hClassTable[30],

OUTPUT TABLE-HANDLE hClassTable[31], OUTPUT TABLE-HANDLE hClassTable[32] ) NO-ERROR.

-- peter

Posted by jeferson.molin on 09-May-2013 11:40

Peter, thanks for your reply!

I don't know if it helps, but I'm using ProxyGen based open client.

I did a quick search too, and could not find any bug.

Posted by gus on 09-May-2013 12:21

Performance will be terrible. Or worse.

Posted by asthomas on 09-May-2013 12:26

I am out of the office until May 13th 2013. I will not be checking my mail and phone on a regular basis, but will reply to your mail as soon as I can.

If you need support from appSolutions, please send your mails to support@app-solutions.com.

If you need Roundtable support, please send mails to :

support-europe@roundtable-tsms.com.

Jeg er væk fra kontoret indtil den 13. maj 2013, og checker ikke mail og telefon regelmæssigt. Jeg vil dog svare på din mail så snart som muligt.

Hvis du har behov for support, kontakt venligst support@app-solutions.com, så vender vi tilbage så snart det er muligt.

Administrative henvendelser kan ske til : admin@app-solutions.com.

Med venlig hilsen / Regards

Thomas Hansen

appSolutions a/s

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 15-May-2013 12:56

jeferson.molin wrote:

I'm implementing a java application which is going to integrate with another Open Edge application through an appserver connection.

The java application will send approximately 70 input parameters to the Open Edge app, which are all temporary tables.

What I'm curious is the use-case which requires 70 parameters to be passed.... this sounds like a temp-table to me!

Posted by Stefan Drissen on 15-May-2013 15:03

timk519 wrote:

jeferson.molin wrote:

What I'm curious is the use-case which requires 70 parameters to be passed.... this sounds like a temp-table to me!

If I read the original post correctly, there are 70 temp-tables being passed as parameters - in which case this sounds like a dataset to me would be more appropriate.

Posted by gus on 15-May-2013 16:16

I thought the OP said 70 temp tables too. That is why I said it was going

to perform poorly. and it will.

[View:~/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/26/5287.winmail.dat.zip:550:0]

Posted by Tim Kuehn on 15-May-2013 22:10

The original question was: 70 parameters, all of which were temp tables.

I'd think "dataset" as well.

This thread is closed