New and first time connection with ODBC

Posted by Mark.Ward on 30-Sep-2010 14:21

I have to build a client in .NET that will connect to OpenEdge 10.1b.  I am new to OpenEdge and I am using the sports2000 database to learn how to get connected.  I think I have the database and ODBC data source setup correctly.  In short I am getting the following error when I try to execute "select * from customer" from my .NET code using OdbcCommand class via an OdbcConnection.

"ERROR [42502][DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver][OPENEDGE]Table/View/Synonym not found (7519)"I have no idea how to approach to resolve this problem.  I only have the OpenEdge Workgroup.

Using the data dictionary I made a new database from the sports2000 into a new folder.

I have setup the database using the Progress Explorer Tool.  I used the default configuration and pointed it to the new database I created.

I have setup the Service name or port number to be 3005

I have created my ODBC data source and the connection tested and passed.

In my C# code when trying to query the customer table i get the above error and I have not found a solution to the error yet.

Any ideas what I am not doing correctly in the query or not have setup correctly?

All Replies

Posted by Admin on 30-Sep-2010 14:31

following error when I try to execute "select * from customer" from my .NET code using OdbcCommand class via an OdbcConnection.

"ERROR [DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver][OPENEDGE]Table/View/Synonym not found (7519)"I have no idea how to approach to resolve this problem.  I only have the OpenEdge Workgroup.

Try

select * from PUB.customer;

ABL accessible tables are represented via SQL92 in the PUB schema.

Posted by Mark.Ward on 30-Sep-2010 14:32

Yes, the "PUB" is what I was missing. How do you find what schema a table is under and can there be more than one schema in a progress database?

Posted by Admin on 30-Sep-2010 14:36

Yes, the "PUB" is what I was missing. How do you find what schema a table is under and can there be more than one schema in a progress database?

Good question (the first one). All ABL accessible tables, i.e. those that show up in the ABL DataDictionary are in the PUB schema. The ABL cannot see any other table. Other tables must have been created (actively) using SQL DDL in another schema. And yes, there can be a lot of schemas - very often associated with users (schema owners).

Posted by MiguelSaucedo on 05-Jul-2013 12:27

How do you make the ODBC connection?

This thread is closed