Openedge Oracle DB Connection

Posted by rrajan on 22-Jul-2013 08:49

I have a progress .p. I run some business logic in Progress DB. But I need to fetch some data from an Oracle DB. What are the different ways by which we can fetch the Data from an Oracle DB to a progress procedure.

All Replies

Posted by Santosh Behera on 22-Jul-2013 09:48

You can use Openedge Dataserver to pull all the objects and data from oracle DB to your progress schema holder.

steps:

1) Create an empty db in OE.

2) Go to Data Administration --> DataServer --> Oracle Utilities

3) Give required details and select the objects need to be pulled after giving oracle authentication details

You need to have 'Openedge dataserver for oracle' component to use this feature along with your openedge installation.

For more details you can refer to below link-

http://documentation.progress.com/output/OpenEdge112/oe112html/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=Data%20Management/DataServer%20for%20Oracle/01dmoratitle.html

Regards,

Santosh

Posted by rrajan on 30-Jul-2013 15:04

What is Data Direct ? Will it possible to use Data Direct for the Oracle DB Connection from Progress

Posted by Santosh Behera on 31-Jul-2013 04:37

You can connect to the oracle db using data direct driver but you cannot perform all the operations.

As you mentioned you want to execute some .p after connecting to oracle db, you should have 'openedge dataserver for oracle' license with you to use the feature.

HTH

Santosh

Posted by Admin on 01-Aug-2013 07:12

rrajan wrote:

I have a progress .p. I run some business logic in Progress DB. But I need to fetch some data from an Oracle DB. What are the different ways by which we can fetch the Data from an Oracle DB to a progress procedure.

why fetching it from the database? there sure is an application that 'owns' that  database... use it's published services instead, they might already have  what you're looking for or can simply ask them nicely to expose the  data you need through a new service

otherwise it's not the best idea to tight yourself to their 'internals'  neither very polite... but that's a question of taste while skip over  application business logic (including authentication/authorization) is  something they should not let you do in the first place

yes, data  server can let you do that but just because you can doesn't mean you  should.

Posted by rrajan on 06-Aug-2013 09:39

Thanks for the response. Is it possible to just run a sql statement and get the records from oracle using datadirect ? Do we have any sample programs in progress documentation ?

This thread is closed