Forcing Update for Expression Fields

Posted by gmandujano on 02-Dec-2017 12:23

Hi,

I'm trying to provoke an update to an Expression Field due to a change that is made via a trigger on a related record.  I'm observing the same behavior described here: https://knowledgebase.progress.com/articles/Article/Expression-fields-are-not-updated-when-record-updates-occur-via-trigger

The above seems to indicate that this issue was resolved some time ago.  I haven't been able to make the update to the expression field work, either directly or by following the workaround path of creating a dummy update trigger that doesn't change the values.

Any ideas?

Posted by mpiscoso@gmail.com on 04-Dec-2017 01:08

Hi gmandujano,

From personal experience, the only way I've been able to update an expression field is to create a dummy trigger but of the type Object Script which uses the rbv_api.updateRecord() call on the record that you want to update.

In your case:

Related Record >> Updates its fields >> After updating its fields >> Uses an object script to perform updateRecord() on the related record with the expression field.

Hope this helps.

Piscoso, Martin

All Replies

Posted by mpiscoso@gmail.com on 04-Dec-2017 01:08

Hi gmandujano,

From personal experience, the only way I've been able to update an expression field is to create a dummy trigger but of the type Object Script which uses the rbv_api.updateRecord() call on the record that you want to update.

In your case:

Related Record >> Updates its fields >> After updating its fields >> Uses an object script to perform updateRecord() on the related record with the expression field.

Hope this helps.

Piscoso, Martin

Posted by Anoop Premachandran on 04-Dec-2017 01:19

Expression fields by definition gets updated only when values in the record are updated not when related records are updated. As of now we have an open bug wherein expression fields does not get updated even when current record is update through some API flows. This is planned for 5.2

Posted by gmandujano on 04-Dec-2017 09:21

Thanks so much!  I was trying to update the record via an update related record trigger, and that wasn't working.  In any case, this seems to be a good workaround.

This thread is closed