What are the limitations and the best practices in using an

Posted by ithrees on 28-Aug-2017 04:58

Hi All,

Is there any limitation in using an object common for many applications? In a case I tried, I couldn't generate the application xml due to some dependencies.

ie: I have an employee object for App-A and App-B in common. The employee object have relationships with the objects from both applications. When I tried to generate the application XML for App-A, In the tree view it shows error under 'view employee' page due to the related record view components of the objects that are not included in App-A.

As I am trying to build these applications in a way that any customer could be able to install one of the apps or both together in the same tenant without any issue, What are the best practices I should follow in this case?

Thanks and Regards,
Ithrees

All Replies

Posted by Mohammed Siraj on 29-Aug-2017 06:10

When tagging objects to applications you can categorise them as Core objects or Dependent objects. Objects common between applications should be identififed as dependent objects in each of the shared applciations. They should ideally be core to a different root level application.

Also for exporting your applications into another tenants ensure that such root applications are pre-installed. Eg. User object is core object in Rollbase and a dependent object in Organization Management app. When exporting Organization management app, User object will not be exported along with it. However, when importing Organization management app in a new tenant, User object must be already available i.e. Rollbase applciation should be pre-installed before installing Organization Management application.

Posted by ithrees on 31-Aug-2017 03:31

Hi Siraj,

Thank you for your answer and I got your point.

And in my case employee should become the dependent object for both applications, but how It can be pre-installed to a tenant with all of its relationships with the objects specific to both application. If I create an application including the employee object only I won't be able to generate the application xml as employee view page has related object view component.

So, is it the only way to have a dependant/common object without having any related view components in the view page? And is there any other limitation additional to this one?

Thanks and Regards,

Ithrees

This thread is closed