How can i know if where we are hosted

Posted by mysteryminds on 14-Apr-2017 10:45

This is the most dumbest I think I could ask, but I would like to know where and how can i differentiate between private and public cloud.

We are currently hosting our applications in 2 different accounts 

1. Public Cloud 
2. Private Cloud

The reason behind my question is that.. both of them look the same even the setup screen.

I suppose in private cloud we can do lot more customization to login / lost password / logout pages...  But where and which location should i go to change that from the backend?

Posted by mpiscoso@gmail.com on 14-Apr-2017 11:11

The easiest way to know is to look at the URL.

For me, the terminologies are defined as

1. Public Cloud - Hosted by Progress. URL is www.rollbase.com/xxx/xxx

2. Private Cloud - Hosted by someone else (probably your company or organization). URL would be something that is not www.rollbase.com. ex. www.myprivatecloud.com

Add: Hosted Cloud (this is another term which is often used) - Hosted by someone else or even by progress. URL can be www.rollbase.com or it can be something else. The gist of this is, If you are logging into an environment that is not owned by your or your organization, it is just simply put as you are being "hosted" by someone else.

Ex. Everyone under the Public Cloud is being "Hosted" by Progress.

Ex. Your Zone/tenant is being "Hosted" under the instance www.myprivatecloud.com which is owned by me (e.g. I am hosting for you). My instance being "my" private cloud, and you being a tenant of my instance (hosted by me)

Login, Lost Password, Logout Pages > A couple of ways to customize.

1. This can be controlled from the Master Zone by defining an ISV Account and assigning it to a tenant. Under an ISV account you can specify System Name, Home URL, login URL, and other parameters. Please check Page 954 onwards of the documentation.

2. This can be edited directly inside of your instance's server. I am not 100% as to where these files are but they should exist as *.jsp pages such as loginPrivate.jsp. I do not recommend this method unless you know 100% what you are doing. If I remember it right, every time an update is done on an instance, these pages are overriden and you have to reapply the changes each time. If you are aware of the consequence and know exactly what you need to do, I would venture to say that you should give it a shot. Personally speaking, I use #1 and never use #2.

Hope this helps,

Piscoso, Martin

All Replies

Posted by mpiscoso@gmail.com on 14-Apr-2017 11:11

The easiest way to know is to look at the URL.

For me, the terminologies are defined as

1. Public Cloud - Hosted by Progress. URL is www.rollbase.com/xxx/xxx

2. Private Cloud - Hosted by someone else (probably your company or organization). URL would be something that is not www.rollbase.com. ex. www.myprivatecloud.com

Add: Hosted Cloud (this is another term which is often used) - Hosted by someone else or even by progress. URL can be www.rollbase.com or it can be something else. The gist of this is, If you are logging into an environment that is not owned by your or your organization, it is just simply put as you are being "hosted" by someone else.

Ex. Everyone under the Public Cloud is being "Hosted" by Progress.

Ex. Your Zone/tenant is being "Hosted" under the instance www.myprivatecloud.com which is owned by me (e.g. I am hosting for you). My instance being "my" private cloud, and you being a tenant of my instance (hosted by me)

Login, Lost Password, Logout Pages > A couple of ways to customize.

1. This can be controlled from the Master Zone by defining an ISV Account and assigning it to a tenant. Under an ISV account you can specify System Name, Home URL, login URL, and other parameters. Please check Page 954 onwards of the documentation.

2. This can be edited directly inside of your instance's server. I am not 100% as to where these files are but they should exist as *.jsp pages such as loginPrivate.jsp. I do not recommend this method unless you know 100% what you are doing. If I remember it right, every time an update is done on an instance, these pages are overriden and you have to reapply the changes each time. If you are aware of the consequence and know exactly what you need to do, I would venture to say that you should give it a shot. Personally speaking, I use #1 and never use #2.

Hope this helps,

Piscoso, Martin

Posted by Manooj Murali on 16-Apr-2017 07:23

On this

"I do not recommend this method unless you know 100% what you are doing. If I remember it right, every time an update is done on an instance, these pages are overriden and you have to reapply the changes each time."

The jsp's can be customized and maintained easily with the new Rollbase releases by following the instructions @ section "Improved support for white labeling in Rollbase Private Cloud" - documentation.progress.com/.../index.html

Posted by mpiscoso@gmail.com on 16-Apr-2017 08:59

Thank you for adding the links to the documentation Murali.

Posted by Thierry Ciot on 20-Apr-2017 13:37

There can be as many differences as you want as you can white label the solution or there can be no differences at all other than the URL to access the application.

Private cloud also allows you more fine tuning of some parameters for example shared properties.

Thierry.

This thread is closed