Page to show list and detail

Posted by ssouthwe on 03-Jan-2017 11:50

Is it possible in Rollbase to have a grid that displays a list of items, and then on the same page have a detail view to show the full details of one of the items?  

Skimming through the examples, I didn't see anything like that, but it seems like there ought to be a way do that.  Clicking an item in the grid to go to its detail view page seems to take about 4-8 seconds to get there, and another 4-8 seconds to get back to the grid.  I think having the detail display instantly in a panel on the same screen with the list would make the app much more useful.  

I skimmed through some of the screenshots from apps in the Rollbase marketplace, but didn't see anything like this.  If anyone can point me to an example, I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

Posted by Mohammed Siraj on 18-Jan-2017 01:42

At present, there is NO ready to use configuration option to acheive this and this is not a supported interaction pattern in Rollbase. Request you to file an enhancement request for the same.

If required however, this can be acheived  via client-side scripting.

Attached is an example application xml that can be used as a reference implementation for developing client-side scripting solution towards this end. It has an Employee object. On Employee List page, any record selections in the list view will display record details (first selected record) below the view component.

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/25/6765.HRMS_5F00_v2.xml:311:55]

All Replies

Posted by ssouthwe on 05-Jan-2017 10:53

Bump.

Posted by anu31221@gmail.com on 10-Jan-2017 06:28

I am also looking for this functionality

Posted by ssouthwe on 12-Jan-2017 08:57

Bump.

Posted by Mohammed Siraj on 18-Jan-2017 01:42

At present, there is NO ready to use configuration option to acheive this and this is not a supported interaction pattern in Rollbase. Request you to file an enhancement request for the same.

If required however, this can be acheived  via client-side scripting.

Attached is an example application xml that can be used as a reference implementation for developing client-side scripting solution towards this end. It has an Employee object. On Employee List page, any record selections in the list view will display record details (first selected record) below the view component.

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/25/6765.HRMS_5F00_v2.xml:311:55]

Posted by ssouthwe on 18-Jan-2017 08:53

Mohammed, thanks for the answer.  It looks like you used an iFrame in the HTML page, and Javascript binding to listen for events in the grid.  It seems like there are a lot of items in the script that I would need documentation to understand and be able to do:

rb.newui.util.

rbf_getPageContext()

rb.newui.util.addQueryParameter('{!#PROD_SERV_URL}'+'m/main.jsp','pageId','{!#LINK.Employee#id}');

I could probably do something like that in a pinch, but was thinking Rollbase was supposed to be a drag-and-drop sort of thing.

I'm not sure if there is a specific form or person to make the enhancement request to, but this sort of usage pattern is extremely common, so it seems like something that might be good to do.  The product doesn't seem complete without it.

Posted by Mohammed Siraj on 19-Jan-2017 00:58

Thank you for your inputs. In case you are not aware, you may file an enhancement request in Rollbase Forum - Ideas section.

https://community.progress.com/community_groups/products_enhancements/i/rollbase

It will be reviewed by product management and considered for addition to backlog.

For the scripting solution, have used Rollbase client-side SDK to acheive a basic Master/Detail functionality wherein selection changes in Master section will update the Details part.

For more details on Client-side SDK, please refer documentation here:

http://documentation.progress.com/output/rb/doc/#page/rb%2Fclient-side-javascript.html%23

This thread is closed