Multiple Edit and View Pages

Posted by faithlessdreams on 06-Sep-2016 07:37

Hi Team

I can create multiple Edit and View Pages in my application, but how do we use them?

I cannot find any documentation how to use them. There is only documentation how to clone a page.

I would like to create multiple Edit Pages.

For example :

• Book Edit Page

• Cup Edit Page

• Phone Edit Page

• Keyboard Edit Page

• Monitor Edit Page

and so on.

In my Grid, I have a required column / field called “Type” and based on the value of that row I would like the edit button to open the appropriate Edit page.

Row ID         Name            Type            
01 Test 01 Book
02 Test 02 Phone
03 Test 03 Book
04 Test 04 Cup

Is this possible?

If this is not possible out of the box with the default Edit button on the row options. I can create my own Edit hyperlink column to hold the text “Edit” but what would the hyperlink be for opening the edit page based off a column value?

Posted by Srinivas Panyala on 07-Sep-2016 07:35

The use case is, you can configure these pages at role level. Navigate to Roles -> Pages of any role. Here you can configure the newly created pages

For your requirement, you can write some custom javascript code to replace the page id of edit link. 

Thanks

Srinivas

All Replies

Posted by Anoop Premachandran on 06-Sep-2016 09:31
Posted by faithlessdreams on 07-Sep-2016 07:01

Hi, This does not answer the question.

In my Grid, I have a required column / field called “Type” and based on the value of that row I would like the edit button to open the appropriate Edit page.

Is this possible?

If this is not possible out of the box with the default Edit button on the row options. I can create my own Edit hyperlink column to hold the text “Edit” but what would the hyperlink be for opening the edit page based off a column value?

Posted by Srinivas Panyala on 07-Sep-2016 07:35

The use case is, you can configure these pages at role level. Navigate to Roles -> Pages of any role. Here you can configure the newly created pages

For your requirement, you can write some custom javascript code to replace the page id of edit link. 

Thanks

Srinivas

Posted by pcs on 02-Nov-2016 16:50

Hi Srinivas,

I also have exactly the same requirement, requiring multiple edit pages for the same object differentiated by type (not user or role). The suggestion has been to write some custom javascript code to replace the page id of edit link. Can you include some sample code to best achieve this?

Requesting an enhancement for accessing alternate view and edit pages by a user defined field (e.g. type - picklist) in an object. Would be great to extend this to all (including new and quick create) pages, however recognise the need to extend RB to include a "record type" or similar concept (as we would need to know what type of record we were creating).

Regards,

Peter

Posted by Srinivas Panyala on 04-Nov-2016 09:43

Hi Peter,

I have attached a sample application. In this application, I have an "Employee" object and I have two tabs "Employee" and "Requisition" for same "Employee" object. I want to navigate to a different edit page when a user clicks edit link of any record in "Requisition" tab. To achieve this, I have created an another Edit page in "Employee" object (Object definition -> Pages -> Cloned Edit Employee page) and I have written some javascript code to dynamically change the ids in "Edit" hyperlink URLs

Navigate to "Requisition" tab -> click on Design this page -> Edit script component. You can find some sample custom javascript code.

This may not be an optimal solution. But I could achieve what I want to do.

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/25/MultipleEditPagesSameObj_5F00_v6.xml:320:240]

Thanks

Srinivas

Posted by pcs on 09-Nov-2016 00:46

Hi Srinivas,

I am trying to implement the script with my own pages, but it is taking me to the new edit page in edit mode??? I am looking further into this. The concept is good however I have some concerns...

I note that the user documentation for getIdByOriginalId states the user must have the Administrator role. Not sure what impact this might have in a production system (where the users are obviously not administrators).

Regards,

Peter

Posted by Srinivas Panyala on 10-Nov-2016 06:23

Hi Peter,

I have modified the app. I have attached the latest app XML. I have done the following changes.

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/25/MultipleEditPagesSameObj_5F00_v7.xml:320:240]

• Moved script section to after view component
  • Added a myFunc variable and invoked myFunc explicitly.

Regarding permissions, getIdByOriginalId doesn't require Administrator permissions. Please refer the following documentation

https://documentation.progress.com/output/rb/doc/index.html#page/rb%2Frbf-getidbyoriginalid().html

Thanks

Srinivas

Posted by pcs on 14-Nov-2016 01:25

Hi Srinivas,

Thanks for the updated code. I am looking into it.

My requirement is to access different Edit pages from the one List, depending on the "type" of record being edited.

Do you have an example where the Edit is dynamically changed based on some field being displayed in the List?

Regards,

Peter

Posted by IramK on 21-Feb-2017 03:15

Hi Guys,

I have actually created an idea for the very same on this link. Please upvote it and we can hope for Rollbase to implement it sooner rather than later.

community.progress.com/.../42_-_ability_to_choose_custom_neweditviewquick_createattach_selector_page

Cheers.

Iram

This thread is closed