Support for New UI in Portal pages

Posted by IramK on 30-Mar-2016 09:56

Hello,

When is it likely that New UI would be available along with all the kendo stuff in portal pages? Kindly let me know.

Cheers.

Iram

All Replies

Posted by Manooj Murali on 30-Mar-2016 10:00

Hi Iram -

We have a Portal enhancement in our roadmap. But, with 4.2, we will be enabling configurable support for Bootstrap V3 (implicitly includes Fontawesome and Jquery 1.9)

Regards

Posted by IramK on 30-Mar-2016 10:04

Is there a way till that time for me to use the kendo stuff whilst it is supported by Rollbase Out of the Box? Kindly let me know.

Cheers.

Iram

Posted by Manooj Murali on 30-Mar-2016 10:28

Have you tried adding the kendo files using the portal header/footer option. Refer documentation.progress.com/.../

Posted by IramK on 30-Mar-2016 10:35

Yes indeed I have, however how do I modify existing components that are already there on the page? For example: If I would like to convert existing an existing grid into a kendo grid, how would I be able to do that? Or if I would like to convert a picklist to a dropdown list, how can I do that?

I am just trying to keep it responsive in order to provide support for mobile devices. Kindly let me know.

Cheers.

Iram

Posted by Thierry Ciot on 30-Mar-2016 13:31

So the new V4.2 release will help you with Bootstrap V3.

Additionally, Kendo has ways to bind to existing html elements on the page to "kendo-ify" them.

For example, you can bind an existing html table to a kendo grid.

Posted by Thierry Ciot on 30-Mar-2016 13:31

So sounds you would also be interested in having a portal flag where we would include kendo kit automatically - is that correct?

Posted by IramK on 30-Mar-2016 13:37

Yes that's absolutely correct Thierry. That would be great because it would include responsiveness out of the box that Rollbase uses in its environment and also all the fields that we are already familiar with. So for example if the portal flag is enabled and we attach a grid to the page, that should automatically be a kendo grid rather than the grid from the old UI and so on and so forth.

Cheers.

Iram

Posted by Thierry Ciot on 30-Mar-2016 16:53

Iram,

Ok, will see if we can add a flag for including the kendo ui professional kit automatically in portal pages in V4.2 (schedule is tight at this stage - so no promise).

Thierry.

Posted by IramK on 31-Mar-2016 02:56

That would be great [mention:c6ad25f95bb84e839bc6845bc8789e44:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05]. We definitely are upgrading to 4.2. that is due next month and would be glad if this could be included as part of the kit. Could you please keep me posted here with regards to the progress of this feature?

Cheers.

Iram

Posted by Thierry Ciot on 31-Mar-2016 19:17

Iram,

I have received feedback that my post could be mi-interpreted.  So just to be clear, what I was suggesting and asking if it would be useful to you is  only adding a flag to portal setting where you could specify to have kendo ui professional library automatically be included.  This would be similar to the flag for including Bootstrap V3,

It does not mean that the component on the page would automatically be transformed into using kendo widgets (that one I can tell you for sure is a lot of work and cannot be done in V4.2).

Does it make sense? and if yes, would it be useful?

Thanks, Thierry.

Posted by IramK on 01-Apr-2016 07:17

Hello Thierry,

As a start, yes that would definitely be useful to have the option of including the kendo ui professional library. However ideally I would expect it to be the same like the New UI in terms of components as well. Could I have a possible timeline on when I could expect the portal pages to be completely "kendo-fied" :)?

Cheers.

Iram

Posted by IramK on 02-Apr-2016 05:42

Also along the same lines [mention:c6ad25f95bb84e839bc6845bc8789e44:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05], I understand that it is going to be quite a big task to change existing old UI components to new UI however if I would like to do that myself, are there any pointers or techniques that your team uses to carry out these transformations? I am only asking this as I would like to do this myself till Rollbase provides it out of the box and would be quite interested in knowing some tips and tricks I could use in carrying out this transformation myself. Looking forward to your reply.

Cheers.

Iram

Posted by Thierry Ciot on 02-Apr-2016 09:19

Iram, very interesting.  

There are really 2 parts to what we did for new ui:

1) For the main runtime, we rewrote the ui entirely using the design of sending JSON data from the server and then running the entire UI dynamic generation from the client side.

2) For quite a few JSP pages, we applied various techniques to integrate them with Kendo UI - without having to rewrite it all - that is to make the page theme-able, to use kendo widgets where ever we could - for example using a data-role="toolbar" to convert  the existing toolbars and to make them support text direction right to left.  Finally, at document.ready we use jquery to transform the content (for example, to remove some old css and add new classes, ect...)

Let me check with the team what we can do for you.  We are extremelly busy with the current release as you can imagine so we can't promise anything at this stage.

Thierry.

Posted by IramK on 02-Apr-2016 14:28

Sure [mention:c6ad25f95bb84e839bc6845bc8789e44:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05], completely understandable. Any pointers or assistance with regards to this would be of great help and I shall wait for your response at your convenience.

Cheers.

Iram

Posted by Manooj Murali on 04-Apr-2016 09:27

Hi Iram -

We are working on including this option, will keep you posted.

Thank you.

Posted by Manooj Murali on 07-Apr-2016 07:24

In 4.2, portals will have the checkbox to include Kendo UI libraries.

Regards.

Posted by IramK on 07-Apr-2016 08:08

Hello Manoj,

Thanks for providing that support and it does make a difference to what we can do with it from now. However as I mentioned earlier in the above posts, are there any tips and tricks that you use that would allow me to transform the current components to kendo myself? Kindly let me know.

Cheers.

Iram

Posted by Thierry Ciot on 11-Apr-2016 16:32

Hi Iram,

Will contact you soon. As I mentioned, we are quite busy and didn't have time to create a doc to explain the techniques we use.

Hopefully soon :)

This thread is closed