Can anyone recommend a good VPS provider for a rollbase app

Posted by RustyPipe on 18-Mar-2016 21:51

Can anyone recommend a good VPS provider for a rollbase app 
One that has all of the prerequisites etc for java apps.
Or is everyone using Telerik or amazon etc etc?
Cheers
Rusty

CheersCan anyone recommend a good VPS for rollbasehfdg

All Replies

Posted by Thierry Ciot on 20-Mar-2016 02:19

Not sure what you are really looking for?  We have customers using Amazon and others Azure to deploy a private installation of RB.
But to host a RB app you don’t need to do that you can simply deploy it on an existing RB public cloud.

Is there something specific you are looking for? Or am I misunderstanding your question?

Thierry.

Posted by RustyPipe on 20-Mar-2016 03:17

Thierry

You got the quesion spot on, many thanks for you answer much appreciated.

Rollbase is a great product with a wonderfull backup crew, but once the app is built (and it is) the options are endless and thats when its gets real sticky.  

I was just wondered what everyone else was doing, on this subject, thats all.

Many thanks, I think I will cast my net a little further and find out what the wider world is doing.

Cheers

Rusty

Posted by RustyPipe on 20-Mar-2016 15:22

Just discovered ..."Progress® Arcade™ is a web portal where you can deploy and manage Progress applications in a Cloud-based environment. You can use Arcade to migrate existing Progress applications to a public Cloud environment, run and test the application in the Cloud, and then deploy the application. Deployment includes the ability to host demos or to publish applications that are available to subscribers." and "You can think of a deployment as a virtual machine or server (VPS) that is running the operating system and the Progress products required to support a particular application."

Posted by murali on 20-Mar-2016 18:36

I would not recommend Arcade. Not tested or certified there. rollbase.com itself runs on AWS. Rollbase Private Cloud can be deployed on AWS, Azure , Rackspace etc.

Posted by RustyPipe on 21-Mar-2016 00:39

Which one of them would you recomend for a multi tenancy app?

Posted by murali on 21-Mar-2016 04:10

Hi, I'm not sure whether I can make a strong recommendation. Because, actually it does not matter. But, we have more experience in hosting with AWS. So, you could say AWS, I guess.

Posted by RustyPipe on 21-Mar-2016 04:23

I appreciate your impartial take on this and understand your reluctance to comment, a totally  understandable response.  I may contact some of the progress rollbase partners and ask them.  I guess I was expecting an end to end experience with rollbase  and an answer titled "I did it this way and it worked for me" kind of response.  But I can appreciate that this is a "how long is a piece of string" question.  I will check out your suggestions and start with Rackspace and see how it goes from there.  Many thanks Much appreciated.

Posted by murali on 21-Mar-2016 04:49

Hi. I understand there is a lack of literature on hosting from our side. We will work towards fixing it.  

a) Rackspace is a good choice. rollbase.com was hosted on Rackspace up until August/2013. It should work without issue.

b) There is a whitepaper on hosting on Azure. Can somone in Rollbase team share please?

As usual, please use this forum for any issues you encounter.

Posted by RustyPipe on 21-Mar-2016 04:54

As ever you are all most kind .  many thanks and I promise I will write a "I did it this way and it worked for me" Cheers

John

Posted by Rajkumar Mateti on 21-Mar-2016 05:23

Hi,

Please find the below link for white paper on "Instatling Rollbase on Azure" community.progress.com/.../2784

Thanks,

Rajkumar

Posted by Thierry Ciot on 21-Mar-2016 22:38

Primary decisions should be based on your own criteria (what you are familiar with) and cost at least to begin with.

The good news is that it shouldn’t be too hard to move from one provider to another.

Thierry.

Posted by RustyPipe on 23-Mar-2016 00:03

Thanks for the "Installing Rollbase on Azure" document

Does anyone have a document "Installing Rollbase on AWS" or "Installing Rollbase on Rackspace"....Cheers

Posted by Srinivas Panyala on 24-Mar-2016 00:28

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/25/Installing-Rollbase-on-Amazon-EC2.docx:320:240]

I am sharing a document. Please let me know if you need more info. I will provide the elaborate document.

Thanks
Srinivas

Posted by RustyPipe on 24-Mar-2016 00:58

Shrinvias

Thats great

I just need the

"Installing Rollbase on Rackspace".

and I have the full set.

Cheers

John

Posted by Thierry Ciot on 24-Mar-2016 14:32

FYI: we are also working on how to deploy in Modulus.
Stay tune for that one J

This thread is closed