Few Questions for New User

Posted by james_spears on 06-Feb-2016 09:58

Hi All,

I'm currently evaluating the trial version of the rollbase hosted cloud for use in my own corporation. Plan is to create my own accounting system and a few other apps internally. Eventually, we will be interested in an ISV account to build and deploy apps for clients of ours.

I have a few questions, before I purchase Rollbase subscription. I tried contacting sales, but they weren't much help. Any help on the below questions would be much appreciated. Keep in mind that I am coming from a salesforce and force.com background.

1) Am I able to white-label rollbase on teh hosted cloud for clients if i was an ISV?

2) Speed of the hosted cloud seem slow, is it hosted on rackspace or amazon? 

3) Is there a developer community for rollbase that knows the application and can help with javascript programming etc? 

4) How do i build mobile apps with Rollbase? I see that before on an older version of rollbase, there was the rollbase mobile app builder, however that does not exist anymore on the pacific menu? Is Telerik now used and does it come with the rollbase license package? or extra costs are involved?

5) I have viewed and tried out the apps on the marketplace, but is there any apps out there that are complex in nature with lots of triggers, custom code in both UI etc that I can sample to view the capability of rollbase?

6) Does anyone have any details on the ISV program? Pricing, records, storage, users limits, etc?

7) In order to use the private cloud, it is a minimum of $1000 per month? Is that correct?

8) Does the ability to use record type like salesforce exist? Each record type can have it's own view etc.

I'll probably have a few more questions, but that's it for now.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to your responses.

James

All Replies

Posted by wmtwood on 06-Feb-2016 13:53

Here are some quick answers -- you have a long list for a Saturday.   I will take a crack at all and answer as best as I can.

1) Am I able to white-label rollbase on the hosted cloud for clients if i was an ISV?

Yes, though for Private Cloud you obviously have a lot more control and capabilities related to hosting, routing and addressing.  (See http://documentation.progress.com/output/rb/doc/index.html#page/rb/setup-and-administration-for-isvs.html)

2) Speed of the hosted cloud seem slow, is it hosted on rackspace or amazon?

You are seeing the trial version hosted on Amazon.  There are some differences in resources allocated to paid vs trial accounts, which might impact perceived speed.

3) Is there a developer community for rollbase that knows the application and can help with javascript programming etc?

You found it. This is the most active community (https://community.progress.com/community_groups/rollbase/)

4) How do i build mobile apps with Rollbase? I see that before on an older version of rollbase, there was the rollbase mobile app builder, however that does not exist anymore on the pacific menu? Is Telerik now used and does it come with the rollbase license package? or extra costs are involved?

Rollbase recently updated the UI capabilities to be responsive and you can view on mobile devices and tablets.  The separate abilitity to create Hybrid and Native Phone/Tablet applications is available in Telerik Platform.  This is an extra cost.

5) I have viewed and tried out the apps on the marketplace, but is there any apps out there that are complex in nature with lots of triggers, custom code in both UI etc that I can sample to view the capability of rollbase?

The tutorials and marketplace apps are the only publicly available apps that I know of.  Some of these are rather complex and have the features you mention.

6) Does anyone have any details on the ISV program? Pricing, records, storage, users limits, etc?

Here you would have to talk to sale. Your experience there may not have been too good, but you might want to try again. (I don't have any details you can't get off the website).

7) In order to use the private cloud, it is a minimum of $1000 per month? Is that correct?

There is a minimum because it is a full multi-user platform.  Again, talk to someone in sales.

8) Does the ability to use record type like salesforce exist? Each record type can have it's own view etc.

Rollbase uses the term "object" for record types, and each Object has its own views for tabular and form input and display. 

Posted by Thierry Ciot on 07-Feb-2016 05:11

Sorry that you did not get a good experience and answers to your questions with Sales.

You have come to the right place to ask all sort of questions.  The support and engineering group hangs on this community and will provide you with answers as much as possible.

We definitively provide full support for white labeling including the latest marketplace (important for ISV).  Several of our customers have white labeled the product.

I’ll talk to product manager tomorrow to give you references to complex apps.  And to provide contact for sales.  In the meantime, you can check this sample we posted a while back: community.progress.com/.../76645.  It illustrates how to do custom javascript code to access data from the backend and populate a pivot grid table.  Note: you have access to the full Kendo UI Professional widgets at no additional cost – including the mobile widgets to customize pages (See demos.telerik.com/.../ for examples of what widgets are available).

The responsive UI provides access to Rollbase from smartphones and tablets from the device’s web browser.  We have made great strides in improving the responsive ui to be more adaptive on Smart phones and tablets.  And much more is coming in V4.1.  If you are interested in the upcoming release, we run an early access program and I can provide you access to it.  Please email me directly at tciot@progress.com

Thierry.

Posted by psaradhi on 07-Feb-2016 09:51

Additionally, you can find more info on whitelabeling Rollbase community.progress.com/.../2695

Posted by james_spears on 07-Feb-2016 18:51

Thanks for the detailed reply wtmwood. Much appreciated.

Posted by james_spears on 07-Feb-2016 18:53

Hi Thierry, thanks for your response as well. Would definitely be interested in seeing some more complex applications from your product manager. Would love to also get a sneak peak at Release 4.1 as well. I will email you directly this week, Thanks again.

Posted by jsniemi79 on 08-Feb-2016 09:28

Hi James,

I work for an ISV building custom apps on Rollbase.  Our parent company transitioned their entire business off of Salesforce onto Rollbase and have a fairly complex application.  If you need more information, I might be able to get someone from there to give you a demo of some of the more advanced features.  We'd love to see the Rollbase community continue to grow, so I'd be happy to help where I can.  You can email me at jniemi@vyco.com if you want.

Good luck!

Posted by james_spears on 09-Feb-2016 08:11

Hi jniemi79, thanks for the offer, I will definitely take you up on this in the near future. I'm looking forward to using rollbase in house for my company operations, as well as an ISV for clients. There might be some possibilities of working together in the future with Vyco. I'll email you directly. Thanks again.

This thread is closed