System BackUp, Encoding File Upload path

Posted by dubosegriffin on 26-Jan-2016 10:26

Good Morning,

I am trying to find the best way to direct a client. They are leaving our software solution and want to export all their data out of the system. This includes file upload documents and images. I am very familiar with the system backup file and can download all the file upload documents from our S3 bucket. Here is where I am getting stuck and hence my questions.

1. Can the system backup file specifically all the CSV files be used to import the data and relationships into another system (not rollbase or a progress system)?

2. If yes to question #1, how do I re-attach, re-link, reestablish the relationship between the file upload documents and the database record? I have looked through most of the csv files and I do not see a column anywhere that references back to the file upload documents.

3. If no to question #1 (and therefore question #2 is obsolete), how can a client extract all of their data out of the system in a way to (1) maintain the relationships between objects and records and (2) link each record to all associated file upload documents.

Their file uploads comprise about 1.4 GB of data so this is very important for me to understand on behalf of the client.

Thank you,

DuBose

Posted by Anoop Premachandran on 01-Feb-2016 10:45

All documents are part of backup. The only exception is when Rollbase master admin specifies a  Max Backup File Size for tenants and tenant file size exceeds this limit. SO if you find files are missing in backup, increase this limit.

All Replies

Posted by Anoop Premachandran on 28-Jan-2016 06:29

1. Can the system backup file specifically all the CSV files be used to import the data and relationships into another system (not rollbase or a progress system)?

Answer : Short answer is No.

The system backup file contains the data exported from tables used by Rollbase in Rollbase schema format. This is not documented for external use and is part of Rollbase implementation logic.

2. If yes to question #1, how do I re-attach, re-link, reestablish the relationship between the file upload documents and the database record? I have looked through most of the csv files and I do not see a column anywhere that references back to the file upload documents.

3. If no to question #1 (and therefore question #2 is obsolete), how can a client extract all of their data out of the system in a way to (1) maintain the relationships between objects and records and (2) link each record to all associated file upload documents.

Answer : Best way to export would be to write script or application that uses Rollbase APIs to extract data including images and relationships

Posted by bakar on 28-Jan-2016 14:33

Hi Anoop,

Also when the customers wants to move to another progress partner (for example from hosted cloud to private cloud or from one private cloud/partner to another). There is no way to take the files. This functionilty is really crucial. Something for the roadmap?

Posted by Anoop Premachandran on 28-Jan-2016 19:58

We do have a procedure in place to move from hosted cloud to private cloud. But as of now it is restrictive in the sense that we recommend that the Private Cloud is a brand new instance. We have in our immediate roadmap to fix this. Our goal is to allow creating a tenant in any Rollbase instance (old or new) from a backup from any Rollbase instance.

Posted by bakar on 31-Jan-2016 14:09

Can we also take all the documents with this scenario?

Posted by Anoop Premachandran on 01-Feb-2016 10:45

All documents are part of backup. The only exception is when Rollbase master admin specifies a  Max Backup File Size for tenants and tenant file size exceeds this limit. SO if you find files are missing in backup, increase this limit.

Posted by dubosegriffin on 03-Feb-2016 09:12

I just wanted to loop back around and thank everyone for this helpful feedback.

This thread is closed