Special characters in search function

Posted by Aede Hoekstra on 23-Sep-2015 03:15

Is there an option for ignoring special characters in the search function?

Example: 

We are searching (in the right top search box) for example a user: "Véronique"

Result is the user is found. To find it we have to enter the name with é in it. When we use "Veronique", the user is not returned to the search results.

I am aware of the available wildcards like * and ~ but I was wondering if this is configurable on the search.

Posted by Anoop Premachandran on 23-Sep-2015 04:12

We use Apache Lucene internally to do search. Our implementation uses StandardAnalyzer and KeywordAnalyzer from Lucene. In order to achieve what you are asking for we need to incorporate ASCIIFoldingFilter into our Analyzer. As of now this is not available as configuration or something that could be plugged in by you. Please raise an enhancement through support. We have in our roadmap to enhance our Search capabilities and this enhancement is a very important one for non-English Languages (especially European ones).

All Replies

Posted by Anoop Premachandran on 23-Sep-2015 04:12

We use Apache Lucene internally to do search. Our implementation uses StandardAnalyzer and KeywordAnalyzer from Lucene. In order to achieve what you are asking for we need to incorporate ASCIIFoldingFilter into our Analyzer. As of now this is not available as configuration or something that could be plugged in by you. Please raise an enhancement through support. We have in our roadmap to enhance our Search capabilities and this enhancement is a very important one for non-English Languages (especially European ones).

Posted by Aede Hoekstra on 23-Sep-2015 04:17

Thanks for your answer Anoop! I will create an enhancement request for this.

Posted by Aede Hoekstra on 23-Sep-2015 04:24
This thread is closed