Kendo Tab Strip with an Ajax Tab

Posted by Meryk on 07-Sep-2015 06:49

Hello,

I have a page with kendo Tabs A, B and C. A and B tabs have sections with local content. Tab C has content from an ajax Call.

The issue I am facing now is that when the tab C is activated (as I am loading the content on activation), the ajax content is loaded properly (it is taking some time though, 4 seconds) under the Tab C. But when I go back to Tabs A or B, the ajax section is there as well under the original Tab Section of each Tab.

So at the end, once the ajax content is loaded under its Tab C, it is there under all the other Tabs and all the time.

Ps : By Ajax content I mean that I am doing an ajax call this way under the Tab C, and only when C is activated :

$.ajax({
method : "GET",
url: 'myUrl,
dataType : 'html',

success: function(data) {
   $("#replaceMe4").append(data);
}

}); //end of ajax call

where "replaceMe4" is the div related the 4th li of the Kendo Tabs.

Any suggestions Please ? 

Thank you

Meryem

Posted by Mohammed Siraj on 08-Sep-2015 05:57

Regarding,

" So the other part of the ajax returned content, and which is normally under the below "rb-styleable-content-box", is been added to the end of the page, but not under the first Tab div, and this is why it is not linked to this div and appears under other Tabs as well "

Once ajax request completes & you append data to a Tab, there is NO additional returned content.

What you are seeing at the end of page, is added to DOM by client-side scripts that execute when you append ajax response (which contains skeleton html markup & SCRIPTS). If you filter out these scripts from ajax response and just add html mark up to tab, you will NOT see additional content at the end of the page.

Hope this explains, the behavior that you are seeing.

Now coming back to the usecase of loading one page inside another page as tab content, it is not possible to acheive with New UI pages, considering how they are constructed by client-side scripts. You may want to consider using iFrames instead.

All Replies

Posted by Mohammed Siraj on 08-Sep-2015 00:09

When using Kendo UI TabStrip, every tab will have its own content element. Any content which is meant for a specific tab should be appended only to that tab's content element.

In your snippet above, you need to first identify the tab's content element to be used instead of  $("#replaceMe4").

Request you to add the following function definition and leverage the same to identify a tab's content element:

function rbf_getTabContentElement(tabIndex){

var kendoConfig = $('div[data-role=tabstrip]').data('kendoTabStrip');

return kendoConfig? kendoConfig.contentElement(tabIndex) : null;

}

Now to get tab content element: rbf_getTabContentElement(2) -> This will return DOM Element for 3rd tab's content element.

Also, success function definition as given above should be revised as follows:

success: function(data) {

$(rbf_getTabContentElement(2)).append(data);

}

Note: In forthcoming releases, we will have such util methods available in a New UI page by default.

Posted by Mohammed Siraj on 08-Sep-2015 00:14

Also, for any Kendo UI library specific queries, you can also refer Kendo UI documentation online.

docs.telerik.com/.../introduction

Posted by Meryk on 08-Sep-2015 04:52

Hello,

Thank you guys for the replies. I used the function rbf_getTabContentElement  to get the content of the right Tab and then append the ajax content to it and here is what's happening now (and I think this was the behavior I had before as well) :

Only a part of the data returned by Ajax is appended to that div. The remaining part is just appended to end of the page, and this is why it appears under the other Tabs when they are selected.

Here is the DOM after appending the Ajax data :

So as you can see, the div with id = "tabstrip-1" is the one to which the content is appended. But as shown the div with id = "rb-styleable-content-box" is empty, and this maybe has to do with the fact that only the skeleton is returned as you mentioned in the other post.

So the other part of the ajax returned content, and which is normally under the below "rb-styleable-content-box", is been added to the end of the page, but not under the first Tab div, and this is why it is not linked to this div and appears under other Tabs as well :

So the div "k-tabstrip-wrapper" is the one added to the end of the page. and this where the problem comes from. Obviously it looks like we are appending only the skeleton.

Any other suggestions please ? Don't we need to wait for the ajax returned to be completely built before appending it to the Tab's Content div as you suggested ?

Cheers,

Meryem

Posted by Mohammed Siraj on 08-Sep-2015 05:57

Regarding,

" So the other part of the ajax returned content, and which is normally under the below "rb-styleable-content-box", is been added to the end of the page, but not under the first Tab div, and this is why it is not linked to this div and appears under other Tabs as well "

Once ajax request completes & you append data to a Tab, there is NO additional returned content.

What you are seeing at the end of page, is added to DOM by client-side scripts that execute when you append ajax response (which contains skeleton html markup & SCRIPTS). If you filter out these scripts from ajax response and just add html mark up to tab, you will NOT see additional content at the end of the page.

Hope this explains, the behavior that you are seeing.

Now coming back to the usecase of loading one page inside another page as tab content, it is not possible to acheive with New UI pages, considering how they are constructed by client-side scripts. You may want to consider using iFrames instead.

This thread is closed