Update Rollbase 3.1.3 to 4.0.0 using SQL script

Posted by Jorrit on 24-Aug-2015 12:57

Hi Guys,

I try to update my local machine with Rollbase from version 3.1.3 to 4.0 for some testing.

i followed these steps:

1. Download the latest Rollbase binary from http://www.progress.com/products/rollbase/try-it/private-cloud
    • This should be composed of rollbase.zip, lib.zip and webapps.zip, available in the "Files" section
    • Do NOT download the automatic installer as these are only to use with new installations
    • Download as well from the "Database Updates" section any SQL file(s) available to migrate to the latest version (e.g. if you are upgrading from 2.0 to 2.2 that would be the 2.0.0.3, 2.1.0 and 2.2.0 update files)
  2. Shut down the Tomcat instance that is powering Rollbase
  3. Make a backup copy of Rollbase config directory
  4. Uncompress lib.zip in Tomcat's lib directory
  5. Uncompress webapps.zip in Tomcat's webapps directory
  6. In Tomcat's webapps directory, delete the master, rest, rss, storage, workflow, prod1, router, search and webapi directories
  7. Uncompress rollbase.zip in Rollbase directory. Note that this will overwrite files such as license file, general configuration
  8. Restore the Rollbase config files to their original location
  9. If there was any relevant database update SQL file:
    • Edit each file and only keep the part relevant to your DBMS
    • Apply each SQL file to your DBMS in order (e.g. if you are upgrading from 2.0 to 2.2, run the 2.0.0.3 update first, then the 2.1.0 update and finally the 2.2.0 update)
  10. Restart Tomcat

Everything is going well until I get to step 9

How can i update the OE database with the SQL scripts downloaded at step 1 (update_3_2_0.sql and update_4_0_0.sql).

Thanks in advance.

Jorrit 

All Replies

Posted by Manooj Murali on 24-Aug-2015 20:56

Hi -

You should comment out the default one's & uncomment the lines following 'OpenEdge' by removing the leading double dashes at all places throughout the file. This will help you run the file against OE database. So, do this for both 3.2 and 4.0 scripts and run them in that same order.

Regards,

Manooj

Posted by Jorrit on 25-Aug-2015 01:37

Hi Manooj,

That's what I saw in the documentation, my question is actually how to run the SQL script against the database? witch program should i have to use?

Regards Jorrit.

Posted by Manooj Murali on 25-Aug-2015 01:40

Hi Jorrit -

Please find the solution in a similar thread community.progress.com/.../70245.aspx

-Regards

Manooj

Posted by Jorrit on 25-Aug-2015 01:45

Hi Manooj,

The link is not working.

Group Not Found

The requested Group cannot be found.

Regards Jorrit

Posted by Rajkumar Mateti on 25-Aug-2015 01:47

Hi,

RB Installer By default update_4_0_0.sq file not run on existing database. We manually run update script on OE Database.

Please follow the below  steps to run update script.

Swtich to <Rollbase Home>\Rollbase\db\bin\proenv.bat. After that

1.set jrehome=%DLC%/jre

2.sqlexp -db rbdb -S 8911 -user dbadmin -password dbadmin -infile update_4_0_0.sql

Note:

By Default update_4_0_0.sql file has Update against MYSQL database . Need to uncomment lines related to OE database and comment existing one.

After run update_4_0_0.sql  restart Serv

- See more at: community.progress.com/.../70245.aspx

Thanks,

Rajkumar

Posted by Jorrit on 25-Aug-2015 01:53

Hi Rajkumar,

Thank you ill try it later this day and let you know what the result is.

Regards

Jorrit

Posted by Daniel Figucio on 25-Aug-2015 17:53

Hi,

When I updated to 4.0 the service appeared to execute update_4_0_0.sql script upon startup.

I had tested this by

• installing update files
  • commenting out every non-commented line in update_4_0_0.sql - so that the script file contained just comments
  • started the service and noted the new table not existing error upon login.
  • stopped the service
  • started the service again and noted the new table not existing error still occurred upon login.
  • stopped the service
  • uncommented the OE lines in update_4_0_0.sql
  • started the service.
  • logged in successfully. 

I wanted to do this as this was my first update and I wanted to see what happened when i skipped steps

Is it a valid conclusion that the script does indeed run?

D.

Posted by Anoop Premachandran on 26-Aug-2015 06:56

Yes. You can also look for tables/columns in the schema that corresponds to entries in update_4_0_0.sql

This thread is closed