How to fetch remote IP address

Posted by Harrie Kuijper on 16-Jul-2015 04:16

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to get the remote ip address (of the user logged in). Is there a way to do this at the serverside, in a trigger for example? Without hosting a JSP file which fetches this.

I want to track from what IP address an object is created from in a onCreate trigger.

Regards,

Harrie.

Posted by Srinivas Panyala on 24-Jul-2015 01:02

Hi Harrie,

You can get IP address from client side to server side using Html events. But it requires user interaction. Just sharing my thought, I am not sure it works for you.

Steps:

1) Create a text box field

2) Click on Events link of above-created textbox(Object Definition -> Fields section)

3) Enter "myIP();" as value for onfocus event

4) Move to new record page

5) Click on Design this page

6) Add script component

7) Paste below script & save

<script>

function myIP() {

ajaxRreq = rbf_getXMLHTTPRequest();

if (ajaxRreq) {

   ajaxRreq.open('GET', 'https://api.ipify.org', false);

   ajaxRreq.setRequestHeader('Content-Type', 'application/text; charset=UTF-8');

   ajaxRreq.send();

  document.getElementById("IPAddresssText").value = ajaxRreq.responseText.toString();

}

}

</script>

8) While creating new record focus once on above created text box. It will fetch the IP address and set the value

9) Save the record.

Thanks

Srinivas