Idea's section

Posted by Harrie Kuijper on 14-Jul-2015 09:25

Hi,

We have a question about the idea's secion of this community. We have committed several idea's to this section, but we don't really see any activity on these idea's. We neither got feedback from Progress. We see that idea's are grouped by state, but almost all ideas are "under review", some already for a year. (for exampe the oldest is from 1 Oct 2013, without any comment or so)

What is the procedure at Progress for handling this idea's? Is it possible to give more information about the state of the idea's?

Regards,

Harrie, Marc.

Posted by Robert McDonald on 15-Jul-2015 10:33

Harrie,

I've updated the status of the idea that you referenced, we must have missed that one. :-(

We will also make an effort to be more engaging with this area of the community moving forward to give you more feedback on your ideas.

All Replies

Posted by vmapb on 14-Jul-2015 09:42

Same here this idea is open since 18 Dec 2014 11:20 Likes 13 no response from Progress so far

community.progress.com/.../multiple_roles_per_user_to_simplify_permissions.aspx

Posted by Jean Richert on 14-Jul-2015 10:20

Hello Harrie,

I can't talk on behalf of our product managers however, as the one in charge of our Community, I still would like to share a couple of comments about the ideas section but from a community platform perspective... Not looking for excuses but only sharing information in a spirit of transparency.

Ideas within the Community platform is a “new” app the vendor released at the same time we decided to go for this platform (October 2013). It has a certain number of limitations and missing some features. We have already reported these to the vendor as product enhancements requests but, you all know how sometimes it can be challenging to work with a software vendor... 

The features that are missing are:

- no notification service provided

- only 4 possible statuses: under review (default when someone reports an idea), coming soon, not planned and complete.

- no simple way to change the 4 status “labels”  except by custom-coding the vendor’s widget used.

More features gaps have been as well reported to the vendor too.

Again this is just from a community platform perspective and will let our Rollbase PM chime in to elaborate on the process behind the scene.

Posted by Robert McDonald on 14-Jul-2015 10:25

Hi,

I understand your frustration and I can assure you that we review every suggestion that comes through the Ideas section.  We are also trying to maintain the status of the Ideas so that we can mark them as "Coming Soon" once they have been committed to on the short term roadmap and "Complete" once they have been addressed.  

We have to keep our long-term roadmap flexible, so that we can react to high priority customer issues/enhancements as they come.  I do not want to add to the frustration, so I do not change the status from "under review' until we have committed them to a release.

Unfortunately, we are unable to get to every suggestion as quickly as we would both like, but we will continue to try and address them as expediently as we can.  If you have any suggestions about how we can improve this feedback mechanism, please let me know.

Robert McDonald

Manager, Product Management

Posted by Harrie Kuijper on 14-Jul-2015 11:57

Robert, Jean,

Thanks for your replies.

I see that the ideas list is not your highest priority (understandable), and that the ideas section is not "complete" solution for your needs. But we are just asking for some feedback. If we submit an idea now, it looks like nothing happens with it (some idea's are submitted a year ago, that's a long time). What we ask is just some short feedback. E.g.:

- What are Progress' thoughts about the idea?

- Is the idea achievable?

- Maybe a rough estimation about when it could be implemented (if it will be implemented)

We also see that not all statuses are updated, for example this idea:

community.progress.com/.../having_a_full_web_code_editor_embedded_in_rollbase_for_scripting.aspx

Is already addressed in Rollbase, but it's status is still "Coming Soon".

Regards,

Harrie.

Posted by Robert McDonald on 15-Jul-2015 10:33

Harrie,

I've updated the status of the idea that you referenced, we must have missed that one. :-(

We will also make an effort to be more engaging with this area of the community moving forward to give you more feedback on your ideas.

Posted by Harrie Kuijper on 15-Jul-2015 10:56

Hi Robert,

Sounds good, thanks for your replies.

This thread is closed