How to duplicate/copy a record within the same object

Posted by ithrees on 19-May-2015 00:04

Hi All,

What is the best approach to copy/duplicate a record in the same object before editing the record. The situation is, I have to take a copy of the record (version the record) before I change it. 

Thanks in Advance,
Ithrees

Posted by pvorobie on 19-May-2015 11:41

You can use "Clone" UI option. You can also use Conversion Map (in Action or Trigger) to convert record into it's clone.

All Replies

Posted by jsniemi79 on 19-May-2015 07:53

If you are on the view page of the record, you can use the More Options > Clone to be able to duplicate the record.  Once there, you can update values manually.  

If you have more complicated processing to do on the record, I would suggest using workflow to get a button on your page that is tied to using a conversion map.  This would allow you a bit more flexibility in what you want to be a perfect copy of the original record versus an updated field.  I assume if you are using a version, you would have an incremental number to the record.  The conversion map would let you do this without having to remember to manually change the value through the cloning process.

I hope this helps.

Posted by pvorobie on 19-May-2015 11:41

You can use "Clone" UI option. You can also use Conversion Map (in Action or Trigger) to convert record into it's clone.

This thread is closed