Attach button not being displayed despite being selected on

Posted by IramK on 11-Mar-2015 07:18

Hello,

I have a relationship between two objects and I was wanting to attach the related record from one to the other. However I dont see the attach button being available to me despite selecting the "Enable Attach" checkbox in the design page. I even cloned that object and checked to see if the attach button gets available and it doesn't for some unknown reason. Any possible explanation to this?

Posted by pvorobie on 31-Mar-2015 11:22

Agree: tracking as PSC00330141

Thanks,
Pavel

[collapse]
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 6:47 AM
To: TU.Rollbase@community.progress.com
Cc: Robert McDonald; Murali Mohan; Pavel Vorobiev
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - Rollbase] Attach button not being displayed despite being selected on the View Page

While this is true for Invoice and Line Item relationship, it may be different for other relationships like Question and Answer. Assuming the relationship carnality is Many-to-Many, the Attach Button can be used to attach the dependent record to other core object records.

In my opinion, we should not bother hiding the button when dependent property is enabled because dependent records can still be assigned to other records via edit page. A simpler approach in configuring the button is for customers to use the Show Attach Button property in UI pages.

Regards,
Godfrey

[collapse]
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 3:36 AM
Cc: Robert McDonald; Murali Mohan; Godfrey Sorita
Subject: RE: [Technical Users - Rollbase] Attach button not being displayed despite being selected on the View Page

I want to clarify: “dependent” object records do not make sense outside of core object record. Example: Invoice – Line Item. It does not make sense to attach item from one invoice to another invoice. For that reason “Attach” button was removed for Dependent Objects.

Perhaps we should also remove “Detach” links as well. And  disable “Show Attach Button” in Page Editor for Related lists for Dependent objects. Or do not bother with hiding “Attach” button at all.

Let’s decide.

Thanks,
Pavel

[collapse]
From: Godfrey Sorita [mailto:bounce-gsorita@community.progress.com]
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2015 11:18 AM

Reply by Godfrey Sorita
IramK
I'm just not sure why is the Attach button still displayed in that case if it's not supposed to work if the dependent option gets checked. 

Please do include this in your enhancement request: Disable Enable Attach property if Dependent property is enabled.

The documentation does not have a section about the "dependent" property nor the Attach Button behavior. This issue has been reported and will most likely be in the next release.

Stop receiving emails on this subject.

Flag this post as spam/abuse.

[/collapse][/collapse][/collapse]

All Replies

Posted by Godfrey Sorita on 11-Mar-2015 07:57

Hi Iram,

What version are you using? I tested this functionality on a 1-M relationship on version 3.1.3 and the attach button was visible.

Regards,
Godfrey

Posted by Chandrasekhar Gontla on 11-Mar-2015 08:05

Hi Iram,

I tested the functionality for all kinds of relationships.

Able to see 'Attach <obj name>' button in record details page in all the cases.

Tested in Rollbase v3.1.3.0 release.

Could you please explain the scenario in which you are facing the issue?

Thanks and Regards,

Chandra.G

Posted by IramK on 11-Mar-2015 08:51

Hello,

I am using version 3.0.5.0. I am able to see the attach button for all other objects and their relationship. Its just one particular relationship which is a 1-M relationship, where I cannot see the attach button despite enabling it. Not sure what other information I should provide in order to track it down. It works for all other relationships that I have.

Posted by IramK on 11-Mar-2015 09:03

As a test I created another object, did the same relationship and I can see the attach button being available there but I just can't get to see the attach button for my original relationship no matter what I do. Is there any setting apart from that checkbox that enables the "attach" button?

Posted by Godfrey Sorita on 11-Mar-2015 10:23

Did you convert the relationship? There is a bug in converting relationships which is discussed on this thread https://community.progress.com/community_groups/rollbase/f/25/t/16533.aspx.

When the relationship is converted, the related object is cloned and another related list view component is created. The attach button is not displayed because the component in the page does not have a relationship. You need to drag the new related list view component in order to display the attach button.

Posted by IramK on 11-Mar-2015 11:25

I dont think I converted the relationship as far as I remember. The link you provided is the link for this same post. I've tried removing the component that I have and dragging another list view component but it still doesn't have the attach button.

Working Relationship list:

Not working Relationship list:

Posted by Godfrey Sorita on 11-Mar-2015 15:56

For testing purposes, can you attach your Application XML which contains these objects?

Posted by pvorobie on 11-Mar-2015 16:01

What's cardinality of relationship you use?

Posted by IramK on 13-Mar-2015 04:38

[mention:05b5f00eae4a468d844fa8bedcafd110:e9ed411860ed4f2ba0265705b8793d05] : 1-M relationship. 1 on the object's view page I would like to see the attach button and Many on the related object.

Posted by IramK on 26-Mar-2015 11:49

I actually found the issue on why it wasn't showing the attach button after trying to create another object and do exactly the same steps as I did on my original object. Basically when I created the object I selected the "Dependent" checkbox and as soon as I do that, the attach button disappears. If I uncheck the Dependent checkbox, the attach button appears again. Do you know why this would happen?

I have also tried two scenario's:

1) Creating an Object with the 'create tab for this object' option selected: When I create this object, the dependent checkbox is unchecked by default and the attach button is available. And if I go back to the application where this tab is and remove the tab, the object still has the dependent option unchecked.

2)  Creating an Object with the 'create tab for this object' option deselected: When I create this object, the dependent checkbox is checked by default and the attach button is unavailable.

Can someone please get back to me with a solution on this issue? Is this a bug or the functionality is meant to be like this?

Cheers.

Posted by Godfrey Sorita on 27-Mar-2015 11:04

This feature seems to be by design. You can file an enhancement request to enable the attach button on Dependent objects, though.

An obvious solution is to disable the Dependent property. On the object definition, you can uncheck the Dependent property to display the Attach button.

Posted by IramK on 27-Mar-2015 11:12

That is fine if it is by design. I'm just not sure why is the Attach button still displayed in that case if it's not supposed to work if the dependent option gets checked. Moreover, I did not find any documentation that mentions the behavior I described. I only figured it out when my application did not work as I expected it to.

Posted by Godfrey Sorita on 30-Mar-2015 13:16

[quote user="IramK"]

I'm just not sure why is the Attach button still displayed in that case if it's not supposed to work if the dependent option gets checked. 

[/quote]

Please do include this in your enhancement request: Disable Enable Attach property if Dependent property is enabled.

The documentation does not have a section about the "dependent" property nor the Attach Button behavior. This issue has been reported and will most likely be in the next release.

Posted by pvorobie on 30-Mar-2015 14:36

I want to clarify: “dependent” object records do not make sense outside of core object record. Example: Invoice – Line Item. It does not make sense to attach item from one invoice to another invoice. For that reason “Attach” button was removed for Dependent Objects.

Perhaps we should also remove “Detach” links as well. And  disable “Show Attach Button” in Page Editor for Related lists for Dependent objects. Or do not bother with hiding “Attach” button at all.

Let’s decide.

Thanks,
Pavel

[collapse]

Reply by Godfrey Sorita
IramK

[/collapse]

Posted by Godfrey Sorita on 31-Mar-2015 08:47

While this is true for Invoice and Line Item relationship, it may be different for other relationships like Question and Answer. Assuming the relationship carnality is Many-to-Many, the Attach Button can be used to attach the dependent record to other core object records.

In my opinion, we should not bother hiding the button when dependent property is enabled because dependent records can still be assigned to other records via edit page. A simpler approach in configuring the button is for customers to use the Show Attach Button property in UI pages.

Regards,
Godfrey

[collapse]

Let’s decide.

Thanks,
Pavel

[collapse]

Reply by Godfrey Sorita
IramK

[/collapse][/collapse]

Posted by pvorobie on 31-Mar-2015 11:22

Agree: tracking as PSC00330141

Thanks,
Pavel

[collapse]
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 6:47 AM
Cc: Robert McDonald; Murali Mohan; Pavel Vorobiev

Regards,
Godfrey

[collapse]

Let’s decide.

Thanks,
Pavel

[collapse]

Reply by Godfrey Sorita
IramK

[/collapse][/collapse][/collapse]

This thread is closed