Link LookUp field setting VS rbf_setLookupFilter()

Posted by jquerijero on 01-Dec-2014 10:51

I added code to use rbf_setLookupFilter() to limit the result of a dependent lookup; however, there seems to be a field level Link Lookup setting that sounds like it's supposed to do the same thing.

I tried using the setting on two related OpenEdge objects. The field setting doesn't seem to work.

I was able to make rbf_setLookupFIlter() worked.

My question is, is the field Link Lookup setting just wasn't implemented yet for OpenEdge objects or is this by design? 

All Replies

Posted by Gian Torralba on 01-Dec-2014 11:17


I'll try to check if the link lookup configuration is not applicable to OpenEdge objects since it is working fine for Rollbase native objects. I'll also point out that using rbf_lookupFilter() for OpenEdge objects might cause unwanted results since it is in beta stage also stated in the documentation.

Thank you,

Posted by jquerijero on 01-Dec-2014 16:10

It looks like the the feature is only available for OpenEdge objects. Field level Main Lookup and Link Lookup selection combo-boxes are only available when the tab/object is related to at least one OpenEdge object.

Those fields are not shown when ONLY using native/Rollbase objects. However, the fields become available to all lookups (both OpenEdge and native/Rollbase) once you add a relationship to an OE object. Note that you can only select OE objects as Main or Link lookup and not native objects.

So I would say the feature is broke.

Related to this;

The AutoSuggestControl is also not properly limiting the suggestion list. The HTML element seems to have the correct filtername and filtervalue parameters.

<input type="text" size="20" tabindex="4" id="txtR106882124" name="txtR106882124" selectorviewid="-1" viewpageid="106877087" onfocus="new AutoSuggestControl(this, 106875970, -1);" matchfield="shipto_name" matchrule="ST" suggtype="rObj" ismultiple="false" autocomplete="off" filtername="cust_guid" filtervalue="2611742d52e0a41-5391-af8d-13ec-b670947c91f0">

Posted by Gian Torralba on 08-Dec-2014 08:07


Field Level Main Lookup and Link Lookup selection should be working properly from native to native Rollbase object. Maybe you are referring to Native to OE objects? Can you confirm this?

Thank you,

Posted by jquerijero on 08-Dec-2014 10:11

We are linking OE to OE objects.

Posted by Gian Torralba on 08-Dec-2014 14:36


You said "Those fields are not shown when using native/Rollbase objects." but now you are saying that you are testing this on OE to OE object. The issue might be on the OE to OE object not Native to Native Rollbase objects because I just tested this functionality in Native Rollbase objects and it works fine.

Thank you,

Posted by jquerijero on 08-Dec-2014 17:05

Main Lookup and Link Lookup don't show as options if my object only contains relationships to other native objects. In this case, my other native objects are also related to one another which should be suitable for main and link lookup.  

The field options do show up once I relate my object to an OE object; however, only the OE relationship is part of the selection. This is the reason why I assumed the feature is for OE objects.

I'm not sure why this is the case for us. We are using version

Posted by Manooj Murali on 11-Dec-2014 22:16

The Mani/Link look-up shows up if any only if the object has at least one relationship with cardinality 1:1 or M:1 (where 1 is on the related object side) && the look-up field on which you are trying to configure Main/Link is not part of that relationship(s).

Example :

Say I have Employee and Department objects. The following relationships are created :

a) 1 Employee : Many Leads

b) Many Employees : 1 Department

c) 1 Employee : 1 User

Look-up fields in Employee are :

a) Leads

b) Department

c) Contact Owner (User)

Now, the Main Look-up option in Field Edit page for Department Field shows 'Employee-User' & for Contact Owner (User) field shows 'Employee-Department'.

This works when both Employee and Department are Native or External Objects or Mix.



This thread is closed