How to add view permissions to Communication Log?

Posted by matman on 18-Nov-2014 09:29

I am building an application that uses LDF and has a Customer object. To this Customer object, Communication Log records can be added. By going to the Customer record, the user can view the Comm. Log records. Unfortunately, the user can also view all communication log records on the Communication tab. (So also the ones of other groups).

Unfortunately, the Communication Log object does not support LDF. Also, when I disable the Communication tab for that specific user role, the user can still visit the tab view page by manually entering the URL. Other solutions I thought of have security flaws.

Is there any way to be able to show Comm. Log records of a Customer on a Customer record page, but disable access to records he's not supposed to see? (So basically a way to implement LDF functionality without adding LDF.)

Posted by Gian Torralba on 18-Nov-2014 09:51

Hello,

This is not possible at the moment. A workaround might be possible by creating a custom Communication Log object and adding the LDF functionality there. You need to create a trigger in the default Communication Log object to create a new record in the custom Communication Log object. You also need to create a trigger that sets the User's LDF value to the custom Com Log object.

Hope this helps,

Thank you,
Gian

All Replies

Posted by Gian Torralba on 18-Nov-2014 09:51

Hello,

This is not possible at the moment. A workaround might be possible by creating a custom Communication Log object and adding the LDF functionality there. You need to create a trigger in the default Communication Log object to create a new record in the custom Communication Log object. You also need to create a trigger that sets the User's LDF value to the custom Com Log object.

Hope this helps,

Thank you,
Gian

Posted by matman on 19-Nov-2014 06:49

Hi Gian, I'll try to implement this soon. For now it's the answer that I needed, thanks!

Posted by Gian Torralba on 19-Nov-2014 08:31

Hello,

You may also add this as an Idea by posting this functionality request in the IDEAS section by going thru this link. https://community.progress.com/.../default.aspx

Thank you,

Gian

This thread is closed