How to inherit LDF attributes?

Posted by matman on 18-Nov-2014 05:21

I am trying to inherit LDF attributes of my parent record in my child record. I have successfully enabled LDF permissions and tested them with a second user. It all works, except for the child records that need to inherit LDF attributes.

I have a parent object Realtor that has LDF enabled. I also have child object Website that has LDF enabled. Realtor has a 1 to Many relationship with Website. Realtor has a Department value. When I create a new Website record via Realtor or via New Website, it seems to inherit nothing. Am I overlooking something?

Posted by Orchid Corpin on 18-Nov-2014 10:16

If those child record was already created and has different LDF values from the parent then those values will not be changed according to its parent's LDF.

If a a child will be created together with the parent record, like "embedded quick create" or "grid" then child record can have the same LDF values with the parent.

Your workaround is correct or it should be done that way to change the child's LDF values.

Regards,
Orchid

All Replies

Posted by Orchid Corpin on 18-Nov-2014 06:38

In the child object can you make sure that the Organization fields (Location, Department, Function) has the "Use user's Location value as default for new records" set to CHECKED?

Regards,

Orchid

Posted by matman on 18-Nov-2014 07:35

Hey Orchid, the checkbox has been checked. The user's Location, Department and Function fields do not contain a value though.

I worked around this problem using a trigger mapper that runs after create or update. But I still wonder why I couldn't inherit from parent Realtor object.

Posted by Orchid Corpin on 18-Nov-2014 10:16

If those child record was already created and has different LDF values from the parent then those values will not be changed according to its parent's LDF.

If a a child will be created together with the parent record, like "embedded quick create" or "grid" then child record can have the same LDF values with the parent.

Your workaround is correct or it should be done that way to change the child's LDF values.

Regards,
Orchid

Posted by matman on 19-Nov-2014 05:31

Hi Orchid thanks for your reply. Now I understand the mechanism a bit more and I can also see that I would have to create the update triggers anyway. Thanks!

This thread is closed