Relationship issue, not sure how to achieve this related rec

Posted by ByronB on 27-Oct-2014 06:23

Hi there

We have to following scenario:

We have Accounts with a 1:M relationship to Contacts
We have Accounts with a 1:M relationship to Third Party Applications

There is no direct relationship between Contacts and Third Party Applications but I need to be able to show the related Third Party Applications for a specific Account and vice versa being able to show the Account's Contacts assigned to a specific Third Party Application.

As I understand it, if we create a relationship between Contacts and Third Party Applications we would have to assign a Contact when creating a Third party Application? If so then that would not work for us as they are not directly related to Contacts.

Please see attachment for visual.

All Replies

Posted by Manooj Murali on 27-Oct-2014 09:18

I may not get this right, but here's what I think :

Say you view a Contact, it would show the related accounts. And when clicked on the Account, the Account view page can have the related third party applications. Wouldn't this solve your purpose ?

-Thanks

Posted by ByronB on 27-Oct-2014 09:59

Unfortunately not. Usability goes out the windows, too many clicks for the user and will confuse them. Additionally for reporting and marketing purposes we would need to be able to email all the contacts with a Third Party Application of X

Kind Regards,
Byron Branfield

Posted by Orchid Corpin on 27-Oct-2014 10:24

Hi,

You can create new "Related Field" from Contact and Third Party Application objects.
This will enable you to view records from another object which is not directly related to the current object but with the use of another directly related object.

1. In your Contact object create new Related Field.
2. In the "related object" specify Account
3. In the "related field" specify Third Party Applications
4. You can view Third Party Application records in the Contact view page via this field
* Do the same in the Third Party Applications

Hope this may help.

Regards,
Orchid

Posted by ByronB on 27-Oct-2014 11:40

Hi Orchid

Thanks for the help, although it does show the related records so can be used as a last resort. Is there a way to show the related rows in a datagrid with all the related details (Fields)? This would make view-ability much better.

Posted by Orchid Corpin on 27-Oct-2014 14:09

Currently Rollbase do not have that functionality. Related list view is only available for directly related objects.

Regards,
Orchid

This thread is closed