Rollbase API documentation - Naming of methods/parameters in

Posted by matman on 13-Oct-2014 08:36

A few weeks ago I ran across an rbf_ AJAX API call in the documentation that named it's method wrong ( HelloWorld instead of helloWorld ). Today I ran across a REST API call that named it's parameters wrong ( sessionID instead of SessionId ). It's just a small thing, but it cost me a minute of debugging.

I've been working with Rollbase syntax for a couple weeks now so I have a feeling for the Rollbase name giving. (I can guess when something is written wrong.) But sometimes I don't notice it. I think it would be great if these faulty names could be corrected!

All Replies

Posted by Ruth on 13-Oct-2014 10:08

Hi matman,

Thanks for reporting this. I believe the REST API with the incorrect case for sessionId is logout, could you please confirm that? Also, could you provide the name of the AJAX method with incorrect case? I couldn't find it by scanning the method names.

I will get these fixed for updated documentation to be posted soon.

regards,

Ruth Stento

Posted by matman on 13-Oct-2014 10:15

That's correct. I currently cannot find the rbf_ method, I'll keep a look out for it. Thanks!

Posted by Godfrey Sorita on 13-Oct-2014 12:43

Hi Ruth,

There are also few parameters on SOAP API which uses sessionID instead of sessionId. Below are some APIs you can check:

1. deleteFieldDef
2. deleteObjectDef
3. deleteRelationshipDef
4. getObjectDef
5. getObjectDefNames

Thanks,
Godfrey

Posted by Godfrey Sorita on 14-Oct-2014 15:03

Defect PSC00316477 has been filed for this issue. I will keep you posted for updates.

Posted by matman on 15-Oct-2014 03:56

I would like to suggest adding "Required" tags to fields that are required for an API call. For instance, I used getRecord to retrieve a record, but noticed that objName is not required ( but rbv_api.getFieldValue() does require an objName ). For my code logic it's very good to know whether an objName is required, because that means I may need to work around an unknown objName or protect myself from invalid requests (API calls are expensive).

Posted by Godfrey Sorita on 15-Oct-2014 10:48

I like the idea of adding required tags to API fields and parameters. You can submit this as an enhancement request to the Rollbase documentation: https://community.progress.com/community_groups/products_enhancements/i/rollbase/default.aspx

Posted by matman on 20-Oct-2014 02:35

The idea has been suggested: Click here to view suggestion.

Posted by Godfrey Sorita on 20-Oct-2014 08:44

Thank you for submitting this idea. You have my vote. :-)

Posted by Godfrey Sorita on 21-Oct-2014 11:35

The inconsistency has been fixed on the latest version(3.0.5) of the documentation. You can download the file from this link: http://documentation.progress.com/output/Rollbase/RB_User_Guide.pdf

Posted by matman on 22-Oct-2014 02:17

Nice, really fast! Thanks!

This thread is closed